This Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce Recipe is vegetarian and comes together in under 10 minutes! Perfect as a spread for sandwiches, marinade for meats, or to drizzle over pizza or veggies.
Summer is still in full swing here in Wisconsin and my fresh herbs are going nuts! I love this time of year (despite the horrible heat and humidity) with all the fresh produce coming in. One of my favorite things to grow is fresh herbs like basil, rosemary and cilantro. I have some that stay in my house year-round and one of those is basil. Basil is one of my favorite herbs to incorporate into recipes, including this Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce Recipe. The sauce is so easy, and comes together in under 20 minutes. This healthy, vegetarian sauce goes great with pizzas, sandwiches, or as a simple sauce for pasta. I hope you and your family love this simple pesto recipe!
What Do You Need To Make This Basil Pesto Sauce Recipe?
The kitchen tools you will need for this Basil Pesto recipe are:
- A Food Processor or Blender
- Garlic Peeler
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Container for Storing Leftovers
The ingredients you will need for this Homemade Pesto Sauce recipe are:
- Fresh Basil
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Pine Nuts
How Do You Make Healthy Homemade Pesto?
This homemade pesto recipe is super simple to make and takes less than 10 minutes!
- Start by measuring and preparing your ingredients. If using fresh garlic make sure you peel it.
- Once you have everything ready, combine all ingredients in a food processor or a blender. I like using a mini food processor for this basil pesto so I do not have to clean my big one.
- Start by running your food processor on LOW for 30-60 seconds. Check the pesto and add more olive oil if it seems to thick. Blend for an additional 30-60 seconds until the pesto is smooth and no chunks remain.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge or freezer.
For a more detailed look at prep check out the recipe video below!
Like This Easy Pesto Recipe? Try These Next!
Common Basil Pesto Recipe Questions
Can I freeze homemade basil pesto sauce?
Yes, this basil pesto sauce freezes great and when stored in an airtight container stays fresh for up to 3 months. You could store the pesto in a large freezer bag, glass, or plastic container and scoop out what you need. Alternatively, you could store the pesto in small snack zip-lock bags, or a ice cube tray. This way you can pop out a small amount at a time.
When ready to use frozen pesto let defrost in the overnight fridge, or until thawed. You could also place the pesto in a zip-lock bag and run cold water over it for 15-30 minutes until completely de-thawed.
How should I store pesto sauce leftovers?
Store leftover homemade basil pesto in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To extend to life of your pesto you can also store it in the freezer!
Do I have to use fresh basil?
Yes, fresh basil is required for this pesto recipe. Using dried basil will not work at all. You can find fresh basil at most grocery stores by the leafy greens. Also, you could try growing your own. I have my fresh basil in a small pot on a windowsill in my kitchen and it has been going strong for years!
Are there any pesto recipe alterations I can make?
Yes, you can make some alterations to this recipe to make it your own. One alteration you can make is the vegan alteration which I talk about below. Another alteration you can make to this homemade pesto is swapping the pine nuts out for walnuts. If you make this switch use the same amount the recipe calls for. I know pine nuts can be tough to find sometimes, so walnuts work great for this pesto as well!
How can I make classic pesto vegan?
To make this this homemade basil pesto vegan you can swap the Parmesan cheese out for nutritional yeast. This swap does not affect the flavor or texture and is great if you are avoiding animal products. My favorite nutritional yeast is the Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning.
How much pesto sauce does this recipe yield?
This basil pesto sauce recipe makes about 2 cups of sauce when finished. You can always store leftovers in the fridge or freezer if you do not need that much.
What does basil pesto go good with?
Basil pesto sauce is very versatile and can be incorporated into tons of different recipes. You could drizzle it over my Easy Margherita Pizza, spread it on a Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwich, use it as a simple pasta sauce, or even drizzle over the top of some avocado toast!
Shop This Recipe:
I make a small commission from purchases made through the links on this page. See Disclosure for more information.
Basil Pesto Sauce Recipe
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend on LOW for 30-60 seconds until well combined. If sauce is too thick add more olive oil (1 tbsp at a time) and blend an additional 30 seconds. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Leftover Storage: Store leftover basil pesto in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer Option: Store homemade pesto in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. A great option is to use an empty ice cube tray so you can have individual servings. Let pesto completely defrost before using.
- Vegan Option: To make this pesto recipe vegan, swap the Parmesan Cheese out for Nutritional Yeast.
- Recipe Ingredient Swap: If you cannot find pine nuts you can use walnuts instead. Use the same amount as the recipe calls for.
Share The Love!