These Sweet Chili Chicken Wings are super crispy and prepared in the Ninja Foodi air fryer for easy clean up. This game day appetizer will be gone before you know it (yeah these wings are that good)!
Sticky, sweet and just a little bit spicy…yeah, these Sweet Chili Chicken Wings check all the boxes required for the best chicken wing recipe. These easy chicken wings can be made in an oven or air fryer, I use the Ninja Foodi, making the wings versatile and perfect for everyone. Fall is nearly here (hallelujah I am really over the heat) which means football season is about to begin. These wings are perfect for game days with friends, parties of all occasions or a quick dinner with little clean up required. Get ready to dive into the best, most crispy chicken wings ever! Oh, and don’t forget the napkins, because things are about to get messy. Enjoy!
What Do You Need To Make Sweet Chili Chicken Wings?
The kitchen tools you will need for this Thai chicken wing recipe are:
- An Air Fryer- I have the 6.5 quart Ninja Foodi.
- A Baking Sheet
- A Wire Oven Safe Rake
- A Small Saucepan
- A Whisk or Fork
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
Note: Your air fryer settings may be slightly different than mine, this can result in the cooking time varying slightly. Please make sure to check the internal temperature of the chicken wings to make sure they are completely cooked through (165 degrees F). Also, if your air fryer is smaller than my Ninja Foodi (6.5 quarts) you may need to cook your chicken wings in several batches instead of one.
How Do You Make Air Fryer Chicken Wings?
Sweet Thai Chili Chicken Wing Prep
- Use a paper towel to dab off the chicken wings to ensure they are dry. If using frozen chicken wings make sure they are completely de-thawed.
- Place your chicken wings in a zip-lock bag along with the baking powder and spices. Make sure to use baking powder and NOT BAKING SODA.
- Once everything has been added to the bag close it tightly and remove all the air. Shake and press the wings together until all the wings are covered. Alternatively, you can place the baking powder and spice in a bowl, mix them then dip the wings in. I like the bag method because it is faster and it is fun to shake things up (LOL sorry, I had to).
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Cooking Tips
- I like to use the metal rack insert for these sweet Thai chili chicken wings, because I think it helps the bottoms crisp up better. If you do not have a rack you can use the basket instead. Whichever you are using make sure to spray it with cooking spray!
- Load the seasoned chicken wings onto the wire rack in a single layer (depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to do more than one batch).
- Close the lid to the air fryer and press the AIR CRISP button, then set the temperature to 400 degrees F using the TEMP button. Finally, set the cook time for 20 minutes using the TIME button. Once you have done this press the START button. The timer should begin to count down.
- At the 10 minute mark open the air fryer and flip/toss the wings. This will help them cook evenly and not stick. Once you have flipped the chicken wings, close the lid and let them continue to cook.
- When time expires the chicken wings should be golden brown, and super crisp. Check the internal temperature to ensure they are cooked through. If they are not cooked through let those babies cook for an additional 2-4 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- While the air fryer chicken wings are cooking make the sweet Thai chili sauce.
NOTE: These are the instructions for the Ninja Foodi air fryer. If you are using something different then your settings, and buttons may be different.
Sweet Chili Sauce for Chicken Wings
- This sweet chili sauce for chicken wings has A LOT of ingredients. I know, I know don’t complain at me I promise they all combine for the perfect sweet and spicy Asian sauce! While the chicken wings are cooking, prepare the chili sauce sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and stir to combine.
- Heat the sauce over medium heat on the stove and bring to a boil. Reduce the sauce to a simmer and stir until the sweet chili sauce has reduced and has thickened slightly.
- When the chicken wings are finished cooking allow them to rest for 5 minutes before tossing in the sweet chili sauce. This helps the outside stay crispy and not become a soggy disaster.
- I like to dip the wings into the sauce, but you could also place them in a large bowl with the sauce and toss them together. Whichever you prefer, go for it!
Crispy Chicken Wings Finishing Touches
- Now that you have tossed your crispy chicken wings in the Thai sweet chili sauce it is time for the finishing touches! Place the sauced chicken wings on a greased cookie sheet (I suggest using a wire rack insert).
- Broil the chicken wings on HIGH for 2-4 minutes until the sauce is sticky and the wings have developed some color. Hang out near the oven for this part they can burn quickly, so check the wings often.
- Remove the wings from the oven and serve immediately with optional garnished like sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Also, don’t forget the Sriracha Ranch Dip!
Check out the Sweet Thai Chili Chicken Wings Recipe Video for a closer look at prep for this recipe!
Need More Appetizer Ideas? Try These Next!
Storing Leftover Sweet Thai Chicken Wings
IF (and that is a big if) there are any leftover crispy chicken wings then you can store cooked chicken wings in the fridge in an airtight container. I like storing my leftovers in Pyrex Glass Containers. When stored in the fridge sweet Thai chili chicken wings will stay fresh for up to 4 days. To re-heat sweet chili chicken wings place on a microwave safe plate and warm 30-60 seconds until hot and steaming. Enjoy warm with ranch and optional garnish!
Crispy Chicken Wings Sauce Options
These air fryer chicken wings are super crispy and can be enjoyed several ways. You can of course follow this recipe for sweet chili chicken wings (you won’t regret it). Alternatively, you could enjoy them naked! The base of the chicken wing can pair with virtually any flavor or on their own dipped into a sauce of your choice. Some other great sauce options include your favorite buffalo sauce, a super spicy face melting sauce, or a garlic Parmesan sauce.
Also, you could skip broiling the sauced wings in the oven if you are short on time. I really, REALLY like doing this step, but you could just dip the naked chicken wings into the sweet chili sauce as well. Dealers choice! The options are limitless and I encourage you to try these wings several different ways. Because, let’s be real, there is never such a thing as TOO many sauce options (your girl likes her some sauce).
Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Don’t have a Ninja Foodi or an air fryer? No problem! These Thai Chicken Wings can be baked in the oven instead. Personally, I LOVE these chicken wings in the air fryer. They come out so crispy and the clean up is super simple. If you want to use an oven for these sweet chili chicken wings they will still turn out crispy and you can also make a lot more at one time. In the air fryer you can make 8-15 crispy chicken wings at a time. This is great for small groups or a quick dinner for two. Oven baked chicken wings allow you to make enough for a crowd which is perfect for parties or game days.
If making sweet chili chicken wings in the oven, follow all the prep for the chicken wings per recipe instructions and sauce instructions. When ready to cook to wings, heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the wings on a cookie sheet in a single layer and cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes flip the chicken wings and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through. Once finished cooking, toss chicken wings in sweet chili sauce and broil for 2-4 minutes.
I hope you LOVE these Sweet Thai Chili Chicken wings! if you have any questions or comments let me hear them down below!
Easy Baked Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 3 1/2 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/4 Cup Water
Sriracha Ranch Dip
- Sesame Seeds
- Lime Juice
- Sliced Green Onion
Crispy Chicken Wings
- Dab chicken wings with a paper towel to ensure they are dry. Add the chicken wings to a zip-lock bag with baking powder and spices. Close the bag (making sure all the air is out) and toss everything together until the wings are coated.
- Spray the metal rack (or basket) insert with cooking spray and arrange the chicken wings in a single layer. Close the Ninja Foodi lid and hit AIR CRISP, then set the TEMP to 400 degrees F, then set the TIME to 20 minutes and hit START. While the chicken wings are cooking make the sweet chili sauce.*See Recipe Notes for oven instructions!
- At 10 minutes open the lid and toss/flip the chicken wings with tongs to avoid them from sticking. Close the lid and allow them to cook for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Once the time has expired check the internal temperature to ensure they are cooked though. Allow them to rest for 5 minutes before tossing in the sweet chili sauce.
Sweet Chili Sauce
- Combine all ingredients into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat on the stove. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer stirring until the sauce has reduced and has slightly thickened. Keep sauce warm until chicken wings are finished.
- Toss or dip the cooked chicken wings in the sauce. I like to make sure they are thoroughly coated.
- Place the sauced chicken wings in a single layer on a greased cookie sheet with wire rack insert. Broil the chicken wings on the top rack on HIGH for 2-4 minutes. Stick close to the oven and check the wings often, they can burn quickly! Once the sauce is sticky and the wings have some color remove them from the oven. Serve warm with optional garnishes and Sriracha Ranch.
Sriracha Ranch Dip
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Serve with warm Sweet Chili Chicken Wings.
- Leftover Storage: Store leftover chicken wings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Rewarm in the microwave until warmed through.
- Oven Option: Follow recipe instructions for chicken wing prep. When ready to cook, heat oven to 425 degrees F and arrange wings in a single layer on a greased cookie sheet with a wire rack insert. Cook wings for 40 minutes (flipping halfway though) or until cooked through. Follow the recipe instructions for Sweet Chili Sauce and broiling the sauced wings.
- Air Fryer Notes: I use the Ninja Foodi air fryer for this recipe. If you have a different air fryer that is fine, but the cook time and settings may vary. You may need to cook the chicken wings more or less depending on your air fryer. Please check them to make sure they are completely cooked through before eating. Also, if you have a smaller air fryer (mine is 16.5 quarts) you may need to cook the wings in multiple batches.
Share with Your Friends and Family!