These simple Crockpot Beef Short Ribs pack a big flavor and make the perfect holiday main dish or celebratory meal. Trust me, these are worth the splurge.
Okay, I am finally putting out a new recipe that isn’t a sweet. These Crockpot Beef Short Ribs are crazy easy and delicious. The prep work is about 10 minutes, then the slow cooker does all the hard work. The result is super tender beef short ribs, a herby and wonderful sauce and vegetables you will actually want to eat. This slow cooker beef short ribs recipe screams fancy Christmas dinner without having to spend all day in the kitchen prepping and preparing. So for everyone out there that wants to be fancy and show off on a holiday or anniversary, but doesn’t want to do the work, this beef short ribs recipe is for you.
What Do You Need To Make Crockpot Beef Short Ribs?
First, for this crockpot beef short ribs recipe I really tried to stay around the 10 ingredient mark. I know not everyone has tons of spices and fancy ingredients around their kitchens. I got pretty close with 12 ingredients…but really my head it is 10, because salt and pepper don’t count. Either way these crockpot beef short ribs are bursting with flavor and are fall off the bone tender.
Now, before you decide to run out and make this slow cooker beef short ribs recipe, please know that beef short ribs are not cheap. I envision this slow cooker recipe eaten on a holiday like Christmas or New Years or even for an anniversary. Alternatively, if you want to go wild on a Monday and splurge, do you! This beef short ribs recipe is completely worth the splurge in my opinion and you will have a hard time not making it a weekly meal.
The ingredients you will need for this easy slow cooker beef short ribs recipe are:
- Bone-In Beef Short Ribs aka The Star of the Show
- Carrots and Mushrooms
- Herbs/Spices: Thyme, A Bay Leaf, Salt, Pepper, and Garlic
- Flavor Boosters: Tomato Paste and Butter
- Liquid: Red Wine and Beef Broth
The kitchen tools you will need for these beef short ribs are:
- A Crockpot
- A Skillet
- Tongs, A Slotted Spoon, or a Fork works too
Note: For this crockpot beef short ribs recipe I like to use red wine. This is not required and you can switch it for more beef broth or water. I love cooking with wine, but understand if you do not drink or you do not want your children eating a slow cooker recipe where alcohol is used. The alcohol is cooked out in the cooking process, but slight notes will remain in the finished product.
How Do You Make Crockpot Beef Short Ribs?
This beef short ribs recipe is so simple. It is actually crazy how much flavor is developed with very little effort. Crockpots really are a gift we do not deserve. The prep time for this slow cooker short ribs recipe is also short and sweet making this perfect for a busy holiday, date night, or anniversary dinner in. Christmas especially is a holiday where my family is going to multiple houses, opening gifts and playing with said gifts.
The LAST thing I want to be doing is messing around preparing an elaborate meal. But, it is Christmas so you also want something special and fancy! Ladies and gentleman meet the beef short rib. Tons of flavor, fancy, and the whole beef short ribs recipe cooks all day in the crockpot, and you don’t lift a finger. The best of both worlds: fancy and lazy.
Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs Recipe Step By Step
- First, you will need to brown the beef short ribs. Add salt and pepper to all sides of each beef short rib, then place them in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook each side until browned. The entire process should take you about 5 minutes, each side browns up pretty fast. Alternatively, if you are really in a pinch or just do not feel like doing this step you could just toss them in the crockpot. The texture will be a bite different, but the flavor will remain the same.
- Second, you will add all your ingredients to a large crockpot and cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. That’s it. Now you just hang out and wait and enjoy your house smelling glorious.
- Once your beef short ribs are literally falling off the bone, then you know they are finished. Remove the herbs and discard them, and spoon out your veggies and set aside as well. You can serve the beef short ribs whole, cut them up or shred them.
Note: Also, please for the love of everything do not get rid of all the beautiful liquid in the crockpot. I like to drizzle mine over my cooked beef short ribs, potatoes and veggies. See recipe notes on how to make the liquid a little thicker like gravy.
Tip: Low and Slow is best for this slow cooker beef short ribs recipe. I recommend cooking the beef short ribs on low in the slow cooker for 8 hours. Alternatively, if you are stretched for time you could cook them on high for 5 hours.
Need More Main Dish Ideas?!
Common Slow Cooker Beef Ribs Recipe Questions:
How should I store leftover Crockpot Beef Short Ribs?
Leftover slow cooker beef short ribs should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Can I freeze Beef Short Ribs?
Yes, you can freeze leftover beef short ribs in a freezer bag for up to 2 months. When ready to eat de-thaw the short ribs the fridge overnight and warm in the microwave or oven until hot.
What should I pair this beef short ribs recipe with?
I pair my beef short ribs with mashed sweet potatoes and love the flavor combo. Alternatively, you could use serve with regular mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, dinner rolls, or a side salad.
Do I have to brown the short ribs first?
No, you don’t HAVE to. But, it will develop more flavor and yield a better texture in the end if you do. While I highly recommend you do this step, if you skip it the beef short ribs won’t be ruined.
I hope you love this recipe for the best beef short ribs! Whether you are making it for a holiday gathering, anniversary, date night in, or just because on a Tuesday, enjoy! If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them below.
Crockpot Beef Short Ribs
- Add salt and pepper to all sides of the short ribs. In a large skillet over medium heat brown all the sides of each piece of short rib. About 20 seconds per side.
- Add all ingredients to a large crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours, or until meat is falling off the bone. Once finished, remove short ribs and vegetables, set aside. Discard herbs. Don't dispose of the liquid!
- Serve immediately with a side of mashed sweet potatoes and drizzle with the liquid* from the crockpot.
- Tip: If you want your liquid to be thicker like gravy combine 1/2 cup water and 1 Tbsp of cornstarch and stir till combined. Add the liquid to a sauce pan over medium heat and whisk in water-cornstarch mixture. Whisk continuously until slightly thickened, about 2-4 minutes.
- Leftover Storage: Store leftover in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To re-warm microwave on high for 30-60 seconds.
- Recipe Alterations: You can swap the wine out for additional beef broth or even use water.