These simple Crockpot Beef Short Ribs pack a big flavor and make the perfect holiday main dish or celebratory meal. Trust me, these are worth the splurge.
Okay, I am finally putting out a new recipe that isn't a sweet. These Crockpot Beef Short Ribs are crazy easy and delicious. The prep work is about 10 minutes, then the slow cooker does all the hard work. The result is super tender beef short ribs, a herby and wonderful sauce and vegetables you will actually want to eat.
This slow cooker beef short ribs recipe screams fancy Christmas dinner without having to spend all day in the kitchen prepping and preparing. So for everyone out there that wants to be fancy and show off on a holiday or anniversary, but doesn't want to do the work, this beef short ribs recipe is for you.
- Bone-In Beef Short Ribs aka The Star of the Show
- Carrots and Mushrooms
- Herbs/Spices: Thyme, A Bay Leaf, Salt, Pepper, and Garlic
- Flavor Boosters: Tomato Paste and Butter
- Liquid: Red Wine and Beef Broth
- A Crockpot: You will need at least a 6 quart slow cooker if not larger.
- A Skillet
- Tongs, A Slotted Spoon, or a Fork works too
How to Make Short Ribs
This beef short ribs recipe is so simple. It is actually crazy how much flavor is developed with very little effort. Crockpots really are a gift we do not deserve. The prep time for this slow cooker short ribs recipe is also short and sweet making this perfect for a busy holiday, date night, or anniversary dinner in. Christmas especially is a holiday where my family is going to multiple houses, opening gifts and playing with said gifts.
The LAST thing I want to be doing is messing around preparing an elaborate meal. But, it is Christmas so you also want something special and fancy! Ladies and gentleman meet the beef short rib. Tons of flavor, fancy, and the whole beef short ribs recipe cooks all day in the crockpot, and you don't lift a finger. The best of both worlds: fancy and lazy.
Recipe Step By Step
- First, you will need to brown the beef short ribs. Add salt and pepper to all sides of each beef short rib, then place them in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook each side until browned. The entire process should take you about 5 minutes, each side browns up pretty fast. Alternatively, if you are really in a pinch or just do not feel like doing this step you could just toss them in the crockpot. The texture will be a bite different, but the flavor will remain the same.
- Second, you will add all your ingredients to a large crockpot and cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. That's it. Now you just hang out and wait and enjoy your house smelling glorious.
- Once your beef short ribs are literally falling off the bone, then you know they are finished. Remove the herbs and discard them, and spoon out your veggies and set aside as well. You can serve the beef short ribs whole, cut them up or shred them.
Gravy Note: Also, please for the love of everything do not get rid of all the beautiful liquid in the crockpot. I like to drizzle mine over my cooked beef short ribs, potatoes and veggies. See recipe notes on how to make the liquid a little thicker like gravy.
Cooking Tip: Low and Slow is best for this slow cooker beef short ribs recipe. I recommend cooking the beef short ribs on low in the slow cooker for 8 hours. Alternatively, if you are stretched for time you could cook them on high for 5 hours.
Alcohol Note: For this crockpot beef short ribs recipe I like to use red wine. This is not required and you can switch it for more beef broth or water. I love cooking with wine, but understand if you do not drink or you do not want your children eating a slow cooker recipe where alcohol is used. The alcohol is cooked out in the cooking process, but slight notes will remain in the finished product.
More Main Dish Ideas
Leftover slow cooker beef short ribs should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Yes, you can freeze leftover beef short ribs in a freezer bag for up to 2 months. When ready to eat de-thaw the short ribs the fridge overnight and warm in the microwave or oven until hot.
No, you don't HAVE to. But, it will develop more flavor and yield a better texture in the end if you do. While I highly recommend you do this step, if you skip it the beef short ribs won't be ruined.
I pair my beef short ribs with mashed sweet potatoes and love the flavor combo. Alternatively, you could use serve with regular mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, dinner rolls, or a side salad.
I hope you love this recipe for the best short ribs! Whether you are making it for a holiday gathering, anniversary, date night in, or just because on a Tuesday, enjoy. If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them below.
Crockpot Beef Short Ribs
- Add salt and pepper to all sides of the short ribs. In a large skillet over medium heat brown all the sides of each piece of short rib. About 20 seconds per side.
- Add all ingredients to a large crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours, or until meat is falling off the bone. Once finished, remove short ribs and vegetables, set aside. Discard herbs. Don't dispose of the liquid!
- Serve immediately with a side of mashed sweet potatoes and drizzle with the liquid* from the crockpot.
- Tip: If you want your liquid to be thicker like gravy combine ½ cup water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and stir till combined. Add the liquid to a sauce pan over medium heat and whisk in water-cornstarch mixture. Whisk continuously until slightly thickened, about 2-4 minutes.
- Leftover Storage: Store leftover in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To re-warm microwave on high for 30-60 seconds.
- Recipe Alterations: You can swap the wine out for additional beef broth or even use water.