This Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing will become your new easy go-to dipping sauce and ranch dressing for salads, french fries, and chicken!
I could probably live on this Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing, no exaggeration. It is herby, and filled with garlic and black pepper and smooth with the addition of buttermilk. This sauce pairs perfectly with literally everything on the planet from salads, french fries and pizza.
Growing up in Saint Louis ranch was a staple in every household, and they basically put it in our baby bottles. Okay, that part was a stretch, but you get the point: ranch is incredible and it should be celebrated with a parade. I hope you love this yummy ranch recipe as much as my family does! Enjoy!
What Do I Need To Make Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing?
The kitchen tools needed for this homemade buttermilk ranch dressing recipe are:
- A Bowl
- A Spoon or Whisk
- An Airtight Storage Container: Mason jars, Tupperware, Pyrex, work great for this recipe. Another option is saving a store-bought dressing bottle, cleaning it and then re-purposing it for this ranch dressing recipe.
The ingredients you will need for this homemade ranch dressing recipe are:
- Sour Cream: For a healthier ranch dressing you can swap all or part of the sour cream out for plain non fat Greek yogurt. The taste will be altered slightly, but the ranch will still be yummy!
- Lemon Juice: Fresh or bottled lemon juice will work fine for the dressing.
- Fresh Herbs and Spices
How should I store leftover Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing?
Leftover homemade ranch dressing should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. This homemade ranch dressing cannot be frozen and should be stirred before using to recombine ingredients properly.
Can I use different herbs for my homemade buttermilk ranch?
Eh, I wouldn’t. Instead, try adjusting the herbs to your liking be adding and subtracting what you prefer. For example, I love the flavors of pepper, garlic and dill. Therefore, this buttermilk ranch uses all of those.
If you aren’t a big dill fan try adding less, or if you love chives add a little bit more. The good thing about this ranch dressing is that adding more of something in is easy, so make it your own if you wish!
Do the herbs have to be fresh?
No, you can use dried herbs instead of fresh ones. I like that fresh gives more of a bold flavor, but dried herbs work great as well for this homemade ranch dressing.
Is this buttermilk ranch dressing healthy?
Sorta, it is healthier than store-bought ranch dressings because it has no added sugars, minimal salt, and no preservatives. Although, as far as healthy goes you are still eating sour cream and mayo, so you can be the judge. If you are trying to make this dressing healthier, you can swap the sour cream out for plain non fat Greek yogurt.
Love Homemade Sauces and Dressings? Try These!
Recipes that Pair Well with Ranch Dressing
Literally anything. I love to use this homemade ranch dressing on salads and a dipping sauce for chicken, french fries, on burgers and even on pizza. The sky’s the limit with ranch, so go nuts. Some great recipes I love to use this homemade ranch dressing with are:
- Crispy Buffalo Smashed Potatoes
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Pistachio Crusted Baked Chicken Tenders
Love this homemade buttermilk ranch dressing recipe? Tell me what you think below!
Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Finely mince fresh herbs if using and juice fresh lemon if using. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined. Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Sharing is Caring!