The BEST Edible Cookie Dough recipe perfect for a delicious treat. This egg-less cookie dough recipe is also the perfect edible gift idea for your friends and family this holiday season!
The season of shopping is among us! Black Friday is this week and the early deals are going on nearly everywhere. This week always gets me excited, because I know it is nearly time for Christmas. While I have always loved shopping and the deals during this time of year, this year I am going to do my gift giving a bit differently. Every year I buy things and most of which ends up being junk or cheap (guess it was on super sale for a reason).
Therefore, I want to try and make as many gifts for my friends and family as I can. Not only do I think this approach is more thoughtful it is also more creative and cost effective. Immediately I thought of food related gifts and who wouldn’t love the Best Edible Cookie Dough as a gift this year?!
This cookie dough is perfect for friends, family, teachers, or even neighbors! This easy egg-less cookie dough is ready in about 15 minutes and can be customized with candy pieces, chocolate chips, or sprinkles. If you do not want to give it as a gift, this makes a yummy snack for any day of the week.
- TOASTED Flour
- Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Milk of Choice (I use Almond Milk)
- Any Extra Add-In: I went with dark chocolate chips, sprinkles, red and green M&M’s and some peppermint M&M’s as well! Some other great extras you could add to make this recipe your own are, crushed Oreo cookies, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, mini chocolate chips, or caramels.
- A Cookie Sheet (for toasting the flour)
- A Large Bowl
- A Spoon
- Mason Jars (For Gifting)
- Any Addition Ribbons, Bows or Tags for your Mason Jars
Note: For gifting this cookie dough I used three 4 oz. mason jars. Each mason jar contains three servings of edible cookie dough. You could use bigger or small mason jars depending on how many gifts you would like to give. Or, you could keep it all for yourself! This homemade cookie dough is versatile and can be used as a gift or a Sunday treat for the family.
How to Make Edible Cookie Dough
- First, you will need to toast your flour. You can do this ahead of time and store it in a zip-lock bag until you are ready to use it. Doing this ahead of time will save you time and save you from turning your oven on. To toast the flour preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the flour out evenly on a cookie sheet. Once the oven is preheated, place the flour into the oven on the center rack and toast for 7 minutes.
- Second, you will bring it all together. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and stir until well combined. That’s it! So simple!
- Finally, once you have the base of the best edible cookie dough made you can add in your favorite extras! I loved using Christmas themed colors, candies and sprinkles, but you can use whatever you want!
Tips and Tricks
If you want the cookie dough to be more of a creamy texture you can use a hand mixer to whip the butter and sugars together before adding the other ingredients. This does not effect the taste in any way and is up to you if you want to take this optional extra step.
When picking what extras you want to go into the base of your cookie dough make sure not to over load it. Stick with 2 or 3 things or the keep the flavor and not make it a jumbled mess.
YES! This step is VERY important to make the cookie dough safe to eat. Toasting the flour kills any potential bacteria making this a safe snack.
Absolutely! I love to make this recipe around the holidays and gift them to friends and family in small mason jars with some ribbon attached. This cookie dough also makes a great gift for teachers, or welcoming a new neighbor.
Store leftover cookie dough in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Yes, cookie dough can be stored in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. I suggest rolling the dough into balls so you can pull out one at a time when you are ready to eat it.
More Holiday Treats
Best Edible Cookie Dough: Holiday Gift Recipe
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour Toasted *See Recipe Notes
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Granulated White Sugar
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter Softened
- 3 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Almond Milk See Recipe Notes
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Crushed Oreos
- Crushed Peppermint
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add in extras and stir until well incorporated. Enjoy!
- If gifting, separate into individual mason jars (I used 3 4oz jars) and decorate if desired. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week. Before eating, remove from refrigerator and let come to room temperature for a softer texture.
- Toasted Flour: Place flour on a cookie sheet in an even layer and toast in the oven for 7 minutes. This ensures that all potential bacteria is killed and your edible cookie dough is safe to eat!
- Milk Substitution: I use almond milk for this recipe, but you can use the milk of your choice.
- Leftover Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Freezer Option: Freeze leftover cookie dough for up to 3 months.
Share with Your Friends and Family!