This Caprese Avocado Toast recipe is perfect for a simple bite-sized appetizer, lunch or breakfast. Plus, it is vegetarian and pretty healthy so win-win!
I have been a lover of avocado toast since what feels like the dawn of time. Okay, I'm joking, but really this Caprese Avocado Toast is the perfect mini appetizer for parties of all occasions. Also, I love making this vegetarian recipe for a quick lunch, brunch or breakfast.
These mini toasts are not only delicious, but super versatile which I love. With all the fresh ingredients featured I love making these during the warm summer months. Although, they regularly make an appearance during the holiday season because I just can't get enough. I hope you and your family adore this simple avocado toast recipe.
- A Large Cookie Sheet
- A Couple of Prep Bowls: You will just need some for the chopped tomatoes, and mashed avocado. Nothing super large and cereal bowls work great.
- Sharp Knife, Fork and Cutting Board: I like to use a pairing knife and bread knife for this recipe.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- A Large French or Italian Loaf: Personally, I like to use French bread for this recipe, but any large fresh loaf bread will work. Alternatively, you can save some prep time and just use store-bought crostini.
- Fresh Tomatoes: Any tomatoes will do, but my favorite to use are grape or cherry tomatoes.
- Fresh Mozzarella: Alternatively, you could use shredded mozzarella or mozzarella pearls.
- Fresh Avocados
- Fresh Basil
- Balsamic Glaze: I like to use store-bought glaze, but you could also make it yourself by reducing balsamic vinegar and adding honey.
- Basil Pesto (Optional): I love using my homemade basil pesto sauce over top of these! It adds an extra boost of basil-goodness.
- Spices: I like to sprinkle a little salt, pepper and red pepper flaked on my avocado toast. This is to taste and different for everyone.
How To Make Avocado Toast
- Slice loaf bread into ½ inch slices discarding the ends. I like to use french bread or Italian bread.
- Drizzle or brush both sides of the sliced bread with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place prepared bread on a large cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes flipping halfway through. You want them to be golden and toasted, but not burnt.
- While the bread is toasting, prepare the remaining ingredients for the caprese avocado toast.
Ingredient Prep and Assembly
- Slice each avocado in half and remove the large seed and discard. Scoop out the inner part of the avocado and add to a large bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork until slightly chunky (or smooth if that is more your vibe).
- Chop the tomatoes. I like to use grape or cherry tomatoes, because they are less juicy but any tomato will work.
- If using fresh mozzarella cheese use your fingers to tear it into shreds. Alternatively, you could use shredded mozzarella cheese or mozzarella pearls.
- "Ribbon" the fresh basil leaves, or roughly chop. If your basil leaves are tiny you could also just toss them on whole.
- Once the bread has finished toasting, add the mashed avocado (about a heaping tablespoon) then several chopped tomatoes and a sprinkle of mozzarella and fresh basil. Finally drizzle with balsamic glaze and additional toppers if desired!
More Appetizer Ideas
Store leftover mini avocado toast in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Honestly, this caprese avocado toast does not save well and it is best to make it right before you are ready to serve. The avocado gets pretty funky after a day or two, so you won't want to eat on it for days.
Of course, you can prep all the ingredients and store them separate and assemble before you are ready to eat them. Just slice the avocado and add when you are ready to devour. Storing the toast this way gives it a longer life of about 4 days.
No, this recipe is not freezer friendly. Please, do not try and freeze this it will be a hot mess.
I hope you and your family love this Caprese Avocado Toast recipe. I love making this avocado toast as appetizer for parties, or eating it for breakfast or lunch. This recipe is super versatile and I hope you find lots of great uses for it.
Mini Caprese Avocado Toast Appetizer Recipe
Caprese Avocado Toast
- Cut loaf bread into even slices about ½ an inch thick discarding the ends. Lightly brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F on a large baking sheet for 15 minutes flipping halfway through.
- While the bread is toasting, slice avocados in half removing the pit and mash in medium sized bowl. Chop tomatoes, ribbon fresh basil and pull apart fresh mozzarella. Once bread is finished toasting, scoop about 1 tablespoon of avocado on each slice of bread. Depending on the size of your avocados you may need more than the recipe calls for.
- Once bread is finished toasting, scoop about 1 tablespoon of avocado on each slice of bread. Depending on the size of your avocados you may need more than the recipe calls for. Next add mozzarella cheese, and chopped tomatoes.
- Finally, drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with fresh basil. Add additional toppers like red pepper flakes, pepper and homemade basil pesto for an added boost. You can enjoy cold or warm in the oven just until cheese is melty. Enjoy!
- Bread: Any thick loaf bread with a crispy crust will do! Alternatively, you can use store bought crostini.
- Leftover Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. The avocado will start to brown once they have sat out, so these are best made right before serving.
Thank You For Sharing!