These Pork Carnitas Tacos are simple and the perfect weeknight crockpot meal. The meat also saves well and can be added to a variety of other dishes.
Is there anything better than tacos? Very few things in my book, and these Pork Carnitas Tacos rank among some of my family's all time favorites! The meat is both juicy and crispy and can be used for tons of different things besides tacos, including nachos, burritos or quesadillas.
Also, this recipe is super simple and perfect for weeknight dinners, because it is made in the crockpot with little prep work required. Whether you are hosting a potluck or cooking family dinner this Mexican pork taco recipe is perfect for your needs.
- Pork Butt: Pork shoulder or another similar cut of pork will work as well.
- Jalapeno: If you aren't a big fan of spice you can leave the jalapeno out or use less if you wish.
- Mango Avocado Salsa: This is my favorite topper for these pork tacos, but traditional red salsa, green salsa or your favorite store brand could be used.
Why You'll LOVE This!
Little Prep Work Required
Freezer Friendly & Great for Dump and Go Meal
Versatile: Works in a Variety of Mexican Dishes
- Chop pork into 4-6 large pieces then Chop your onion, mince your garlic and jalapeno and add those along with everything else into your large crockpot.
- Next, cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours. The meat should be super tender and falling apart when finished.
- Remove the cooked meat from the crockpot and shred into pieces.
- Place the cooked pork on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle juices from crockpot over the top of the pork.
- Broil on high for 5-10 minutes until the meat is starting to brown and crispy, tossing halfway through
- Finally, you will want to prepare your pork tacos. I like to use flour tortillas for mine, but you could use corn instead if you prefer. Place a generous amount of meat on the tortilla then top with Mango Avocado Salsa, fresh cilantro and enjoy warm.
Leftover Storage Instructions
The cooked pork will stay good for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container in the fridge. To re-warm leftover pork carnitas, reheat in the oven or the microwave until warm.
Pulled pork is usually slow cooker on a smoker or in a crockpot for hours until very tender and easily shred-able. Carnitas are a variety of pulled pork as they are also slow cooked and shredded put packed with more Mexican style spices.
To freeze this pork carnitas recipe combine all ingredients (except orange juice and lime juice add those in when ready to cook) in a large freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to cook the pork carnitas let thaw in the fridge overnight then follow recipe instructions. Alternatively, you could put the pork in the crockpot frozen and add an additional 2 hours to the cook time.
Yes, you can add all the ingredients to a large storage bag or bowl with a lid and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. If marinating for more than 2-3 hours leave the orange juice and lime juice out and add those into the crockpot when ready to cook.
Pork shoulder or pork butt is traditionally used for carnitas because it has a high fat content and stay moist and juicy when cooked.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
A Crockpot/Slow Cooker: You will want to make sure the slow cooker you use is at least 6 quarts large. Any smaller and the carnitas will take longer to cook.
Personally, I recommend pairing these pork carnitas tacos with my Mango Avocado Salsa and fresh cilantro. The flavor is very fresh and bright and compliments the meat well. Alternatively, you could pair with your favorite mild or spicy salsa, lettuce, cheese, or the classic diced white onion and cilantro combo.
If you are looking for the perfect simple and quick side for these tacos be sure to check out my Mexican Corn Salad. A classic combo in the Erhardt house!
This slow cooker pork is very versatile and can be used for burrito bowls, on top of a salad, in a quesadilla or burrito, on Pork Carnitas Nachos or just plain on its own with a side of rice and beans. This recipe makes a large amount of meat that can be used in a variety of ways, so you will never get bored.
You May Also Enjoy...
Crockpot Pork Carnitas Tacos
- 3 Lbs Pork Butt
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 5 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Jalapeno Minced-Optional
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- ¼ Cup Orange Juice
- ¼ Cup Chicken Stock
- 12 Corn or Flour Taco Tortillas
- Mango Avocado Salsa Optional
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro
- White Onion Diced
- Chop the pork butt or shoulder into 6 large chunks. Place all ingredients into a crockpot and cook on high for 6 hours, or low for 8 hours. The meat should be extremely tender and falling apart when finished. Once finished, remove and shred.
- Place shredded meat on a cookie sheet and broil for 5-10 minutes on high until the meat is crispy and browned.
- To serve place meat onto a tortilla and top with Mango Avocado Salsa, cilantro and cheese. Enjoy!
Like what you see?! Share with your friends!
sue | the view from great island
Love the tacos...but that salsa? Just hand me a BIG spoon <3 <3
My whole family loved this! We added rice and guacamole to the tacos too. Can't wait for leftovers tomorrow!
So good! Glad you loved them!
So easy using the slow cooker! This looks like a flavorful weeknight dinner.
Yes, this is perfect for easy dinners!
i love making pork carnitas in the crockpot. it's so easy and they always come out delicious! such a wonderful recipe!
Thank you! We love them!
Amy | The Cook Report
These tacos look amazing, I love how perfectly cooked that meat is!
Thank you! 🙂