These Pork Carnitas Tacos are simple and the perfect weeknight crockpot meal. The meat also saves well and can be added to a variety of other dishes!
Is there anything better than tacos? Very few things in my book, and these Pork Carnitas Tacos rank among some of my family's all time favorites! The meat is both juicy and crispy and can be used for tons of different things besides tacos.
Also, this recipe is super simple and perfect for weeknight dinners, because it is made in the crockpot with little prep work. Whether you are hosting a potluck or cooking family dinner this Mexican taco recipe is perfect for your needs.
- A Crockpot/Slow Cooker: You will want to make sure the slow cooker you use is at least 6 quarts large. Any smaller and the carnitas will take longer to cook.
- A Knife and Cutting Board
- A Cookie Sheet
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Pork Butt: Pork should will work as well.
- An Onion: Yellow or white will work.
- Jalapeno: If you aren't a big fan of spice you can leave the jalapeno out or use less if you wish.
- Orange and Lime Juice
- Mango Avocado Salsa: This is my favorite topper for these pork tacos, but traditional red salsa, green salsa or your favorite store brand could be used.
How to Make Pork Carnitas Tacos
- First, you need to cook your pork. Personally, I like to chop the pork into six or so large hunks to help it cook faster.
- Next chop your onion, mince your garlic and jalapeno and add those along with everything else into your crockpot.
- Next, cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours. The meat should be super tender and falling apart when finished.
- Shred and remove the cooked meat from the crockpot and place it on a cookie sheet. Broil on high for 5-10 minutes until the meat is browned and crispy. Also, you can toss the meat and broil an additional couple of minutes if needed.
- Finally, you will want to prepare your pork carnitas tacos. I like to use flour tortillas for mine, but you could use corn instead if you prefer. Place a generous amount of meat on the tortilla then top with Mango Avocado Salsa, fresh cilantro and enjoy warm.
If you cannot find pork butt at your local store you can use another cut of pork like pork shoulder for these pork carnitas tacos. You want to use a cut that has a good amount of fat on it. This helps develop the flavor while it cooks in the crockpot. I do not recommend using a leaner meat like pork chops for this taco recipe.
The cooked pork will stay good for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container in the fridge. To re-warm leftover pork carnitas, reheat in the oven or the microwave until warm. If you want the pork to crisp up some you can broil it for a couple minutes as well.
To freeze this pork carnitas recipe combine all ingredients in a large freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to cook the pork carnitas let thaw in the fridge overnight then follow carnitas recipe instructions. Alternatively, you could put the pork carnitas in the crockpot frozen and add an additional 2 hours to the cook time.
Yes, you can add all the ingredients to a large storage bag or bowl with a lid and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. This marinade time will make prep work easier and add even more flavor to the meat so win-win!
More Mexican Dishes
Personally, I recommend pairing these pork carnitas tacos with my Mango Avocado Salsa and fresh cilantro. The flavor is very fresh and bright and compliments the meat well.
Alternatively, you could pair with your favorite mild or spicy salsa, lettuce, cheese, or the classic diced white onion and cilantro combo. Also, you could add any of your favorite taco toppings to these crockpot carnitas.
If you are looking for the perfect simple and quick side for these tacos be sure to check out my Mexican Corn Salad. A classic combo in the Erhardt house!
This slow cooker pork is very versatile and can be used for burrito bowls, on top of a salad, in a quesadilla or burrito, on Pork Carnitas Nachos or just plain on its own with a side of rice and beans. This recipe makes a large amount and the leftovers can be used in a variety of ways, so you will never get bored.
This is a meal prep favorite for my husband and always requests it.
Love these Crockpot Pork Carnitas Tacos recipe?! Don't forget to comment and rate below.
Crockpot Pork Carnitas Tacos
- 12 Corn or Flour Taco Tortillas
- Mango Avocado Salsa Optional
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro
- White Onion Diced
- Chop the pork butt or shoulder into 6 large chunks. Place all ingredients into a crockpot and cook on high for 6 hours, or low for 8 hours. The meat should be extremely tender and falling apart when finished. Once finished, remove and shred.
- Place shredded meat on a cookie sheet and broil for 5-10 minutes on high until the meat is crispy and browned.
- To serve place meat onto a tortilla and top with Mango Avocado Salsa, cilantro and cheese. Enjoy!
Like what you see?! Share with your friends!