This Quick and Easy Air Fryer Mexican Pizza is ready in under 25 minutes and perfect for a weeknight family dinner. Minimal ingredients needed and a great dupe for the Taco Bell classic.
Who else really misses the Taco Bell Mexican Pizza?! It defiantly cannot just be me. This Air Fryer Mexican pizza is very simple to make and will satisfy all your taco pizza cravings. The pizzas can be made in an air fryer or oven making them perfect for everyone.
The pizzas are filled with tasty taco meat and refried beans and topped with cheese and taco sauce for an unbeatable combo. These take less than 5 minutes to cook and can be topped with a variety of Mexican favorites from salsa to cilantro. My whole family is obsessed with these and everyone is always full afterwards.
Taco Meat: I love to use my Instant Pot Taco Meat inside of these Mexican pizzas. I always make it ahead of time and often just use it leftover. You can use a different variation of taco meat if you wish. Another option would be swapping the taco meat out for a Mexican style chicken or even creating a vegetarian version with veggies.
Tortillas: I use large burrito sized flour tortillas for this recipe. You may need to size down to taco sized depending on the size of your air fryer basket. If that is the case, you will be able to make 6-8 smaller pizzas instead of 4 large ones.
Taco Sauce: I love mild taco sauce and so does my family, so that is usually what we use. You can substitute in a spicy taco sauce, enchilada sauce or a combination to fit your personal taste preference. The overall concept will be the same.
Why This is a Must Make!
Quick & Easy: Only 5 Minutes Per Pizza!
Kid Approved: Great for Weeknight Family Dinners
Versatile: Easily Customize with Different Toppings
Minimal Ingredients Required
Air Fryer Instructions
- Cook your taco meat either on the stove top or in your Instant Pot. I usually do mine ahead of time and use leftover taco meat for my taco pizzas. I recommend doing this to save on time and prep for this recipe.
- In a preheated air fryer, lay one flour tortilla down flat.
- Spread the tortilla with an even layer of refried beans.
- Spread an even layer of cooked taco meat over the refried beans.
- Lay the second flour tortilla over top of the filling.
- Spread ¼ Cup of taco sauce over the top of the second tortilla.
- Sprinkle with ½-1 cup of shredded cheese (I use Mexican style).
- Close the lid of your air fryer and cook at 360 degrees F for 4-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and warm.
- Once cooked, carefully remove from the air fryer with a large spatula and top with diced tomatoes, green onions and black olives. Enjoy!
Make it Vegetarian!
If you prefer you can leave the meat out of your air fryer Mexican pizza and instead add in some cooked fajita veggies or some warm corn salad. Be sure that your refried beans are also vegetarian friendly is going with this option.
The oven is a great option for making large quantities at a time, and if you do not have an air fryer. The Mexican pizzas still turn out great in my opinion and you are able to make more at once.
- Follow all the above steps (1-7) for cooking the taco meat and filling the Mexican Pizzas.
- When ready to cook, put the Mexican Pizzas on a large cookie sheet. I can usually fit two per sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 360 degrees for 5-10 minutes until cheese in completely melted.
- Once cooked remove from the pan, serve warm with toppings of choice.
How to Store Leftovers
Mexican pizzas are best enjoyed warm right out of the air fryer (or oven). If you have leftover, you can wrap them tightly in foil and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. I usually rewarm mine in the foil in my oven when reheating.
When adding the filling and toppings on to the tortillas I recommend not trying to stuff too much in. The tortillas will not hold up as well and they will get a bit soggy. When cutting and eating the pizza it will also bust out the sides if overfilled.
Air Fryer Tips
As always I like to preheat my air fryer before adding any food in. I think this helps the food cook faster and more evenly. Along with preheating I recommend spraying the basket with oil of choice to ensure nothing sticks.
Contrary to popular belief, Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza was not discontinued because of low sales. After Taco Bell discontinued the item, there was a lot of outrage on social media over the decision urging Taco Bell to change their mind. Rumor has it that Taco Bell will being bring the fan favorite Mexican Pizza back to the menu sometime in 2021.
Mexican Pizza is filled with Mexican style ground beef, refried beans then topped with shredded cheese and enchilada (or taco) sauce and stuffed between two large flour tortillas. Then pizza is then cooked until warm and topped with diced tomatoes, black olives and green onion. Salsa, guacamole and sour cream can also be added.
My FAVORITE Kitchen Tools
I use my Ninja Foodi Grill for this taco pizza recipe, along with ALL my air frying. The basket is large and everything gets perfectly crisp.
i love using my Instant Pot for my homemade taco meat and so much more! A kitchen must have in my book.
You May Also Enjoy...
Air Fryer Mexican Pizza
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Once preheated, lay one flour tortilla down flat inside the basket. Spread the tortilla with an even layer of refried beans. Spread an even layer of cooked taco meat over the refried beans. Lay the second flour tortilla over top of the filling. Spread ¼ Cup of taco sauce over the top of the second tortilla. Sprinkle with ½-1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Close the lid of your air fryer and cook at 360 degrees F for 4-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and warm. Once cooked, carefully remove from the air fryer with a large spatula and top with diced tomatoes, green onions and black olives.
- Repeat these steps for the remaining 3 Mexican Pizzas.