This BBQ Chicken Salad with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch is the perfect light and fresh summer grill recipe! Perfect for Sunday dinner with the family and meal prep for the week!
BBQ Chicken Salad with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch
Summer is nearly here and all I want to do is grill food and lounge in the sunshine. This Grilled BBQ Chicken Salad is everything yummy all in one bowl, AND pretty healthy too boot! Crisp romaine lettuce is paired with spicy BBQ chicken, and a load of toppings for a meal that even the biggest salad haters will love. Top it all off with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing and you will be making this every chance you can get. This recipe works great as a main dish, side and for weekly meal preparation. I hope you and your friends and family love this tasty, and healthy recipe!
What Do I Need To Make BBQ Chicken Salad?
The kitchen tools you will need for this recipe are:
- A grill or grill pan if using the stove top
- A knife and cutting board
- A large bowl for mixing the salad
- Small bowls for serving
The ingredients you will need for this salad recipe are:
- Chicken Breasts
- BBQ Sauce
- Homemade Buttermilk Ranch or Your Favorite Brand
- Black Beans
How Do You Make A BBQ Chicken Salad?
Chicken Prep and Grilling
- Start by making the sauce for the chicken. Combine the BBQ sauce and sriracha in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sprinkle both sides of each chicken breast with salt and pepper, then coat with sauce mixture.
- Place chicken on a warm grill and cook for 5-7 minutes, then flip and cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from grill and prepare salad toppers.
- Wash lettuce and pat dry with paper towels.
- Open canned beans and corn and rinse and strain.
- Slice or dice avocado.
- Slice or dice cooked chicken.
- Combine everything into a bowl and toss to combine.
- Serve with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch, shredded cheese and any additional toppers.
Note: I love making the chicken on our charcoal grill and highly recommend you go that route if you have one. If you don’t you can make it on your stove top (preferably with a grill pan).
What are some other topping ideas?
Some additional topping ideas that go great with this salad are hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, cooked bacon, and croutons. Let me know your favorites down below!
I’m not a big salad fan, can I make this into a wrap?
Yes, you can! I get that eating a salad isn’t the most fun sometimes. Conveniently, this recipe also works great as a wrap or even tacos! First, prepare everything according to the recipe and add to a large burrito size wrap, roll it up and enjoy. Alternatively, plop onto some taco sized tortillas and enjoy with your favorite toppings. Also, if going the wrap or taco route you will not need as much romaine lettuce as the recipe calls for.
Can this recipe be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the entire recipe ahead of time and store it for meals throughout the week. Also, you can marinade the chicken all day or overnight in the fridge to develop even more flavor.
Can I freeze this recipe?
No, this recipe cannot be frozen. If someone knows how to freeze a salad let me know.
How should I store leftovers?
Leftovers should be stored in the fridge in a airtight container. Also, it is best to store the cooked chicken, lettuce and ranch dressing separately and combine when ready to serve.
Looking For More Grill Recipes? Gives These A Go!
Love this recipe? Comment and rate below!
Shop This Recipe:
I make a small commission for purchases made through the links on this page
BBQ Chicken Salad with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup BBQ Sauce Plus More for Topping
- 2-3 Tbsp Sriracha
- 12 Tbsp Homemade Buttermilk Ranch or your favorite store-bought ranch
- 3 Avocados Sliced
- 1 Cup Cooked Corn Canned, Fresh or Frozen
- 1 Cup Cooked Black Beans Canned or Fresh
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 12 Cups Chopped Romaine Lettuce or Artisan Mix
- Salt To Taste
- Pepper To Taste
- Combine BBQ Sauce and Sriracha in a small bowl and stir to combine. Add more of less depending on your spice preference. Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper then thoroughly coat all sides with BBQ sauce mixture.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat and cook chicken breasts 5-7 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. While the chicken is cooking, prepare your toppings and wash your lettuce.
- Once chicken is cooked through remove from heat and slice into small pieces. Combine and toss lettuce, cooked chicken, black beans, corn, avocados, and cheese into a large bowl and divide to serve. Add additional BBQ sauce if desired and serve with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch. Enjoy!
- Additional Topping Ideas: diced tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, croutons, cooked bacon and diced red peppers.
- Leftover Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge. It is best to store ingredients separate and combine when ready to eat. It is recommended to top with ranch right before serving.
- Optional Marinade: Marinade chicken in sauce mixture for up to 24 hours to develop more flavor.
Share with your friends and family!