This Balsamic Oven Roasted Asparagus recipe is the perfect side dish for dinner, plus ready in 20 minutes. This baked asparagus is loaded with Caprese flavors and topped with tomatoes, cheese, and pesto.
I have spring fever guys! The winter is dragging on and on for me and I am desperately craving fresh produce. This Balsamic Oven Roasted Asparagus recipe is the perfect side dish to pair with steak, chicken or a soup for a lighter option. This asparagus is coated in balsamic vinegar, and cheese the baked with tomatoes for a healthy and tasty combination.
Finally, top the baked asparagus with pesto, cheese, and fresh basil for the perfect finish. As if this recipe couldn't get better, it is ready quickly and super simple to make. There is very little prep required and ready in under 20 minutes.
- Fresh Asparagus: Fresh asparagus works the best for this recipe, and I do not recommend using canned for frozen asparagus.
- Tomatoes: I prefer using cherry, grape or another smaller type of tomato. Alternatively, you could use a large tomato and dice it. The texture of the tomatoes will be a bit different, but the flavor will still be similar.
- Homemade Basil Pesto: I adore topping this baked asparagus recipe with my homemade basil pesto. The sauce adds the perfect earthy touch and pairs great the the tomatoes and asparagus.
Why You'll LOVE This!
Quick and Easy: Ready in 20 Minutes!
Versatile: Pairs with a Variety of Recipes
Looks Impressive, yet Requires Few Ingredients & Little Prep
- Snap or cut the bottom 1-2 inches off each piece of asparagus. Next, slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Place the asparagus, tomatoes on a large cookie sheet then top with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Toss everything together and make sure the veggies are evenly coated.
- Top the asparagus with shredded mozzarella then place on the center rack of the oven then bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes until the asparagus is bright green and the tomatoes are soft.
- Remove the veggies from the tray and place on a serving dish and top with freshly grated Parmesan, fresh basil, balsamic glaze, homemade basil pesto and enjoy warm with main dish of choice.
Store baked asparagus in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Balsamic Roasted Asparagus is best right after it is cooked, but will work for meal prep. To re-warm the asparagus, place in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds or until warm. Alternatively, place in the oven and heat at 325 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until warm.
The Perfect Cook: Try your best not to overcook the asparagus. Roast it until it is bright green and soft. There is nothing worse than mushy asparagus, am I right?! IF the tomatoes need more time to blister then you can remove the asparagus and bake the tomatoes a bit longer.
Remove the Bottom: Don't forget to remove the bottom tough end of the asparagus before cooking. While this part is completely edible the bottom is very stingy and tough to eat. I like to snap mine off, but you can use a knife as well.
I always recommend washing any vegetable before cooking it. This ensures that any dirt is rinsed off. Be sure to use a towel to dry off the asparagus after washing it so it doesn't steam.
The texture will become mushy and a lot of the flavor will be lost. You want to cook it until just tender and still a bit crisp.
There is very little nutritional difference in thick and thin asparagus and both work for this recipe. I prefer thicker asparagus, because I think the texture is better and it is harder to overcook.
I love pairing this balsamic asparagus with loads of recipes. This vegetarian side is versatile and can work for dinner parties, meal prep or a side for family weeknight dinners. Some of my go-to recipes to pair with this roasted asparagus recipe are:
Pepper Crusted Steak: For the meat lovers! This fancy steak dish is perfect for a date night in and pairs wonderfully with this recipe.
Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwich: This vegetarian sandwich option is great for a lunch to incorporate leftover baked asparagus with.
Grilled Chicken Spiedini: A summer grill must-have! this tasty grilled chicken is great for the whole family and a great main to pair with this asparagus.
Vegan Black Bean Soup: A wonderful vegan soup that is a lighter option to pair with this side and works for lunch or dinner.
You May Also Enjoy...
Balsamic Oven Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Balsamic Glaze
- Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce Or your favorite store-bought brand
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Snap or cut the bottom 1-2 inches off each piece of asparagus. When you bend the asparagus it will snap naturally about an inch from the bottom. Next, slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Place the asparagus and sliced tomatoes on a large cookie sheet then top with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Toss everything together and make sure the veggies are evenly coated. Finally, top the asparagus with shredded mozzarella.
- Place veggies on the center rack a preheated oven and bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes until the asparagus is bright green and the tomatoes are soft. Once cooked, remove the veggies from the tray with tongs and place on a serving dish and top with freshly grated Parmesan, fresh basil, balsamic glaze, basil pesto and enjoy warm with main dish of choice.
Thank You for Sharing!