The best healthy, vegan cool weather soup recipe! This easy Vegan Black Bean Soup is ready in under 30 minutes making this recipe perfect for a quick weeknight meal!
Let me just start by saying that myself and my family are NOT vegans. We enjoy meat and cheese very often. That being said I do try and incorporate healthy vegan and vegetarian meals on a daily basis for my family. There are tons of health benefits from a high vegetable and plant based diet. This Spicy Vegan Black Bean Soup is one of my favorite easy vegan dishes that I make for my family on a regular basis. I love how healthy, simple and fast this soup recipe is. Plus this soup not only tastes dang good, it also makes you feel good. So before you turn your nose up to a healthy vegan dish, GIVE IT A TRY! And if not there will be cookies next week.
How Do You Make Vegan Black Bean Soup?
Guys. It is so easy! Unfortunately, I feel like it is a common misconception that vegan food is over-complicated. This easy soup recipe is so far from that. The hardest thing about this vegan recipe is chopping the vegetables. I like to believe that most of us can chop up some veggies and throw them in a pot. To make this vegan black bean soup you will only need a couple kitchen tools and about 30 minutes! This black bean soup has so much flavor it is hard to believe that it is super healthy. Bonus is that you won't even miss the meat.
Simple Vegan Soup Recipe Prep
- First, you will need to prepare your veggies. This is the hardest part of this soup recipe, so if you can make it though this step you are home-free. I believe in you. You can use any sharp knife you have to start rough chopping your onion, green pepper, and carrots. Don't worry about making them perfectly even or symmetrical or dicing them super tiny. I like to get mine small enough that they will soften up in the pot pretty quickly. But, not so small that I am chopping for days going bonkers. Aim for the size of your thumbnail. I know super specific unit of measurement there, but you get the idea.
- Now when it comes to the Serrano chili pepper you want to get it tiny. I like to use about a teaspoon of Serrano pepper, but if you want this spicier than you can toss more in. If you are making this black bean soup with kids in mind I would use only a small amount of chili or leave it out completely. Once you have everything chopped, toss them into a large pot with a little oil, salt and pepper and let them simmer away.
- Once your veggies are pretty much cooked and soft, go ahead and add in your minced garlic and black beans. It is a good idea to add these at the end, because if you add them strait-away your garlic will be burnt and beans a mushy mess. Burnt garlic is the worst so don't get over-excited and add it in right away. Now that you have all your veggies soft you can add in everything else and let them get to know each other in the pot.
Cooking Homemade Black Bean Soup
- After all your prep, you will let your spicy vegan black bean soup simmer. Since all of the veggies are already soft and cooked through, you do not have to let this soup simmer for hours. Of course you could let it simmer longer to let the flavor develop more. I like to let this black bean soup simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Once your soup has simmered you will then blend it up. This gives the soup it's thicker texture and makes it so you don't feel like you are just eating a bunch of vegetables. You can use either a immersion or stand blender. I like to pulse the soup in my stand mixer to get the soup to a thick and semi-smooth texture. Personally, I like to leave some chunks in mine, but you can make it to fit you and your family's personal texture preference. I like to blend the entire vegan soup, but you can also take half the black bean soup, blend it then stir it back in so you will still have some whole vegetables.
- Now you are ready to eat! Top with things like, avocado, fresh cilantro, and lime juice to give the soup a perfect finish.
Looking for more vegan recipes? Try these next!
Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
What's Inside This Healthy Black Bean Soup Recipe?
To start, healthy food doesn't have to suck. It can taste like something other than dirt. Something also doesn't have to be smothered in sauce, fried, or loaded with sugar to leave that happy feeling in your tummy. Trust me, I love a buffalo chicken wing dredged in ranch as much as the next person, but I think we can all agree that life is best with some balance. I apply that concept to my food as well. Therefore: healthy vegan soup on Monday and pasta covered in cheese on Wednesday. Balance. This spicy vegan black bean soup is packed with tons of vitamins and nutrients to fuel your body while satisfying your taste buds.
Here are some things that make this easy black bean soup recipe super healthy!
- Tons of Fiber
- Plant Based Protein
- Potassium and Magnesium
- Virtually Fat and Sodium Free
Black beans are an incredibly healthy plant based protein source. Along with protein they contain tons of fiber and a good source of potassium and magnesium. Better yet is they are extremely low in unhealthy fats and sodium. Black beans are also shown to aid in weight loss, bone health and strength, and can even help in cancer prevention. They are also great for diabetics and help control blood sugar levels. Added bonus to plant based protein? NO CHOLESTEROL.
- Vitamin A
Carrots are rich in vitamin A and antioxidants along with fiber, low in fat and a good source of of vitamins and minerals. Carrots can help improve overall health along with supporting cardiovascular health, immune function, eye health and vision, and aid in disease prevention. Also, carrots are great for a diabetic diet and control blood sugar.
Green Bell Pepper
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
Just one green bell pepper contains more than 100% percent of an average adults daily Vitamin C needs. This helps with iron absorption in the body and reduces the risk of anemia (iron deficiency). Vitamin E helps support overall health, and can increase muscle and nerve health.
Love this vegan soup recipe? Don't forget to comment and rate below!
Vegan Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion Chopped
- 1 ½ Cups Carrots Chopped
- 1 Green Pepper Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Serrano Chili Pepper Finely Diced and Seeds Removed-Optional
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- 2 15 Oz Cans Black Beans Rinsed
- 1 8 Oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 2-3 Cups Vegetable Broth*
- Avocado Diced
- Lime Juice
- Fresh Cilantro
- In a large pot add your olive oil, onion, carrots, green pepper and serrano chili pepper and cook over medium heat until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally. About 7 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and black beans and cook for another minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using a stand or immersion blender, pulse until soup texture is smooth with some vegetable chunks remaining.
- Serve warm with additional optional toppings. Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
Lisa | Garlic & Zest
I love bean soups -- they are so rich and hearty. This black bean version looks superb! Pinning for the weekend!