What is super tasty, healthy and perfect for the cool weather?! Okay, you got me it is this Crockpot Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe packed with loads of veggies and lots of goodness.
It is the dead of winter here and soooooo cold! I have been on a big soup kick, and this Vegan Lentil Soup is not only warm and comforting BUT healthy too.
This soup is packed with veggies like carrots, kale and celery and has a bright lemony flavor. This veggie lentil soup is also versatile and can be made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot for a quick 30 minute meal. Whatever your cooking method this soup is delicious and will be a hit for weeknight dinner. Enjoy!
- A Crokpot or Slow Cooker: Personally, I like making this veggie lentil soup in my slow cooker. I think the flavor develops great this way and all the veggies get this and soft. If you do not have/ do not want to use a crockpot then this soup can be made in an Instant Pot for a quicker 30 minute meal.
- A Pairing Knife and Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- A Blender, Food Processor or Immersion Blender: You will need to blend some of the finished slow cooker lemon lentil soup so the texture isn't all veggies. I like to use my immersion blender and just pulse until the texture looks good (I like some chunky veggies in mine!) You could go this route or remove some of the soup and pulse in a blender or food processor, then return it back to the rest of the soup.
- Lentils: For this lemon lentil soup I chose to use green lentils, but brown lentils or split peas will work as well for this soup recipe.
- Veggies: There are a ton of vegetables in this recipe. If you aren't a veggie fan, congrats you are about to be. I used squash, zucchini, carrots, kale and celery, but you could swap out or leave some out if you aren't a fan.
- Vegetable Broth
- Olive Oil and Juice
- Garnishes (Optional): I love garnishing my soup with fresh lemon, parsley, and sometimes some red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Chop and measure all your ingredients. Depending on your skill with a knife this may take a bit, so turn on some good music and get to choppin'!
- Add everything except the kale and garnishes to a large (at least 6 quart) slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 5-6 hours, or LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Once soup is cooked through remove 2 cups of soup (or more if you do not want chunks of veggies) and pulse in a blender or food processor. (Alternatively, you can use a immersion blender!) Return the blended soup to the crockpot and stir.
- Chop the fresh kale (removing the stems) and add to the crockpot and stir. Place the lid on for 10-15 minutes just on the kale has wilted some.
- Serve warm with garnished and enjoy warm.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Combine all of the ingredients in the Instant Pot just like you would in the crockpot.
- Cook the lemon and veggie soup on the SOUP setting for 30 mins then quick release.
- Blend the veggie soup and add the chopped kale and garnishes then serve warm.
More Soup Recipes
Store leftover lemon lentil soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can enjoy this soup cold, or re-heat in the microwave for for 60-90 seconds or until warmed through.
This lemon soup can either be prepped, frozen, then cooked in a crockpot or can be frozen after it has cooked for up to 3 months. To reheat already cooked soup, you can add the frozen veggie soup to either a crockpot or on the stove top and heat until warmed. If the vegan soup has not been cooked yet, then follow recipe instructions for cooking and blending and add an additional hour to the crockpot cook time.
I hope you and your family love this Slow Cooker Lentil Lemon Soup Recipe! This is always a fave of mine when I am feeling like we need some healthy comfort food in our lives.
Crockpot Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 Summer Squash
- 1 Zucchini
- 4 Large Carrots
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 1 Yellow Onion
- ½ Cup Green Lentils
- 7 Cloves Garlic
- 8 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2-3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Crushed Rosemary
- ½ Tsp Tarragon
- 1 Tsp Dried Basil
- 2 Cups Kale
- Lemon Slices
- Peel and chop squash, zucchini, carrots, remove leaves from celery and chop, and chop onion. I like my veggies ½ -1 inch large. Once everything is chopped add it and everything but the kale to a large crockpot (6-8 quarts).
- Cook on HIGH for 5-6 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours. Once cooked remove about 2 cups of soup and pulse in a food processor or blender. Return to the crockpot and stir. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender and pulse until the texture is smooth with some chunks of vegetables.
- Chop the kale removing the stems and add to the crockpot and stir. Place the lid back on for 15 minutes to allow the kale to wilt some. Serve warm with garnishes, or store leftovers. Enjoy!
- Leftover Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer Storage: Store cooked soup in the freezer for up to 3 months and reheat either in the crockpot or on the stove top until warm. You can also freezer the un-cooked prepped soup for up to 3 months and follow cooking instructions in the recipe.
- Instant Pot Directions: Combine all of the ingredients in the Instant Pot just like you would in the crockpot. Cook the lemon and veggie soup on the SOUP setting for 30 mins then quick release. Blend the soup and add the chopped kale and garnishes then serve warm.
- If you are looking to lower the sodium level of this soup you can swap half of the vegetable broth out for water. I do not recommend just using water, because the soup will be a bit bland.