This Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich is perfect for summer grilling, or a weeknight family dinner with the family. A play on the classic BLT with the addition of juicy grilled chicken.
Summer is in full swing and so is the heat! The last thing I want to do right now is turn on my oven, which means it's time to fire up the grill. This Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich recipe is simple to make and perfect for an outdoor BBQ, weeknight family dinner or meal prep.
I love turning my sandwich into a BLT Chicken Sandwich with the addition of crispy bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo. You can stick to these toppings or go rogue and add whatever you like. An added bonus is that the chicken is freezer friendly and can be prepped ahead of time. Happy summer and I you guys go nuts for this tender and juicy grilled sandwich.
- Chicken: I used chicken breast for this grilled chicken sandwich, but you could also use chicken thighs. If you use chicken breasts slice them in half and flatten then out some to make them an even thickness.
- Marinade Ingredients
- Cooked Bacon: My FAVORITE bacon on the planet is my Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Bacon. So. Crispy.
- Sauce of Choice: You can stick with something simple like mayo, or honey mustard (I like mayo)!. Alternatively you can go a bit more bold with some avocado ranch, BBQ sauce, or even chimichurri sauce.
- Additional Toppings (Optional): Some other toppings you could add onto to your BLT sandwich are sliced cheese, pickles, red onion, or avocado.
- Hamburger Buns: I used sourdough buns, but you can use any type of buns you liked, even pretzel buns work!
- An Outdoor Grill
- A Large Skillet (if cooking indoors)
- A Ziplock Bag or Large Bowl: I like using a large bowl with a lid to marinade my chicken, but you can use a zip-lock bag if you prefer.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- A Sharp Knife and Cutting Board
How to Make Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Prepping the Chicken
Slice the chicken breasts in half then flatten with a mallet so all pieces are an even thickness. Add the sliced chicken and all the marinade ingredients to a large bowl. Cover and let marinade for at least 20 minutes or as long as overnight.
- Grilling the Chicken
Once marinaded, spray your grill with cooking spray and heat the grill. Once the grill is hot (at least 375 degrees) add your chicken and cook 7 minutes per side or until internal temperature reads 165 degrees F. I try and only flip my chicken a couple times to let a good char develop and never press down on them.
- Assembling the Sandwich
Once you are finished grilling your chicken, remove from the grill and assemble your grilled chicken club sandwich with lettuce, tomato, bacon and mayo. You can of course add in other favorite like cheese and pickles if you wish.
Make it Even: To ensure that the chicken is nice and juicy and cooked well, try and make all the pieces the same thickness. I do this by slicing the chicken then placing the pieces in non-stick wrap. Finally, I use a mallet to gently hammer the chicken until they are all even. This also makes the grilled chicken fit better on a hamburger bun.
Marinade: I think this chicken just get better and better the longer it sits. For best results let the chicken marinade for at least 2 hours, but ideally overnight. If you are short on time and only have 20 minutes that is better than nothing.
Grilled Buns: I love spreading butter on the inside of my hamburger buns then grilling them. This make the inside nice and crispy and adds a lot of flavor and bunch to the BLT Chicken Sandwich. This is of course optional and you can skip it if you wish.
Leftover chicken, bacon and other condiments can be used with a sandwich for leftovers or transformed into a salad, wrap or just eaten on their own. I love changing this recipe up with leftovers so I am not eating the same thing over and over again.
Some other great topping to add to this grilled chicken club sandwich are cheese (my favorite is Muenster), Chipotle Mayo, mustard, pickles, red onion, or any of your other favorite sandwich toppers. The chicken is neutral in flavor so you can try a variety of sauces and topping with it.
More Grill Favorites
Store leftover grilled chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Rewarm in the microwave until warm, then assemble the sandwich with lettuce, tomato and bacon. For best results keep the toppings separate from the chicken and assemble after warmed.
Yep, you can make the chicken ahead of time by adding all the ingredients into a large bowl with a lid, or bag and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. You can also make the bacon ahead of time by making it in your air fryer and storing in the fridge. Doing these steps saves on both prep time and clean up.
Yep, this chicken recipe can be frozen for up to 3 months. Add all the marinade ingredients and the chicken into a large freezer bag and store flat. When ready to grill the chicken let it thaw in the fridge over night and follow recipe instructions.
Absolutely, this chicken club sandwich is great for meal prep. The chicken can be easily warmed up and assembled into a sandwich. Alternatively, you can add the chicken into a wrap or salad to mix it up and not have the same meal over and over again. Check out my Kale Caesar for a great meal prep side.
I hope you and your family love this simple and tasty grilled chicken sandwich! Let me know down below and say hi!
Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich Recipe
For the Grilled Chicken
- 6 Hamburger Buns
- 6 Slices Cooked Bacon
- 6 Slices Tomato
- Leaf Lettuce
- 6 Slices Cheese Optional
- 6 Tbsp Mayo
- Slice the chicken breasts in half then flatten with a mallet so all pieces are an even thickness. Add the sliced chicken and all the marinade ingredients to a large bowl. Cover and let marinade for at least 20 minutes or as long as overnight.
- Once marinaded, spray then heat an outdoor grill. Once the grill is hot (at least 375 degrees) add your chicken and cook 7 minutes per side or until internal temperature reads 165 degrees F.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the grill and assemble you sandwiches with lettuce, tomato, bacon, and mayo or your toppings of choice. Enjoy!