The perfect Christmas cookie! These Chocolate Cake Cookies with Peppermint Sprinkle are simple enough for kids to help with, ready quickly and have all your favorite holiday flavors including dark chocolate, white chocolate and peppermint.
Who is ready for Christmas?! I’ll answer first: ME! Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love decorating the Christmas tree, watching the snow fall, seeing the lights and consuming so many sweets! These Chocolate Cake Cookies with Peppermint Sprinkle combine all of my favorite holiday flavors: dark chocolate, white chocolate and peppermint. These homemade cookies are the perfect indulgent treat and pair wonderfully with some hot cocoa or a glass of milk. These peppermint cake cookies are ready in about 30 minutes, simple and fun for kids to help with. Oh, and of course super tasty! Happy Holidays and enjoy this easy cake mix cookie recipe.
What Do You Need To Make Chocolate Cake Cookies?
These chocolate cake cookies only require a few ingredients and are much simpler to make than a traditional cookie. Also, they can be made in one bowl, require no chilling and are ready in less than 30 minutes. The cake cookies are thick and moist and have a cross between and brownie and cookie texture.
To make these chocolate cake cookies with peppermint sprinkle you will need:
- A Box of Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
- An Egg
- Vanilla Extract
- White Chocolate
- Peppermint and Chocolate Chips
Next, the kitchen tools needed to make these easy chocolate cake cookies are:
- A Cookie Sheet
- A Large and Small Bowl
- Cooling Rack (Optional)
- Hand Mixer (Or Stand Mixer)
- A Spoon (Or Silicone Spatula)
How Do You Make Chocolate Cake Cookie?
These chocolate cake mix cookies with peppermint sprinkles are one of the easiest Christmas cookies you will make this holiday season. The chocolate cookies require only a few steps and they are ready to be devoured! These chocolaty balls of goodness also go really well with a cup of milk (or hot cocoa), so whip yourself up some of these delicious cookies and pour yourself a cup and enjoy. Also, Santa approves of these cake mix cookies!
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookie Step By Step
- Combine the cream cheese, butter, egg, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer whip everything together until well combined. The texture should be semi-creamy with some small lumps. Alternatively, you could use a stand mixer with the wire whisk attachment.
- Once you have everything creamed together add the chocolate cake mix to the bowl. I like to use a silicone spatula for this step, but you could also use a large spoon. The mix will be thick and fudge-like. This is normal and you will need to stir everything for a couple minutes until there is little to no more white (cream cheese) left visible.
- Next, stir in the chocolate chips. For this recipe, I used dark chocolate cake mix and dark chocolate chips. I know it is a lot of dark chocolate, but I love the flavor combination with the peppermint and white chocolate.
- Once you have everything combined take a small amount of the dough and roll it into a 1 inch ball. Next, drop the ball into a bowl of powdered sugar and coat completely. Place the ball of dough on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Repeat this process until all the dough is used.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, then place on a cooling rack and let cool.
Peppermint Topping Step By Step
- Once the chocolate cake cookies cookies are cool melt the white chocolate in the microwave. Do this in 30 second increments and stir until it is completely melted.
- Using a spoon take some of the melted white chocolate and lightly sling it onto the cookie. You could also dip the cookie directly into the white chocolate and coat half or all of it. *If you do the dip method you will need more white chocolate than the recipe calls for.
- Lastly, while the chocolate is still warm sprinkle with crushed peppermint so that it will stick into the white chocolate. Repeat this process until all the cake cookies are topped with white chocolate and peppermint.
Holiday Cake Mix Cookies Recipe Tips and Suggestions
Make sure your butter and cream cheese are softened. You can take them out early and let them come to room temperature or heat them in the microwave for 20 seconds. This will make the cake cookies extra soft!
Turn the Pans
Also, make sure to rotate the pans of cake mix cookies halfway through baking so the cookies will cook evenly. If you skip this step the cookies in the back could cook fast than the cake cookies in the front. So be sure to flip those pans for perfectly even chocolate cake cookies!
Common Chocolate Cake Cookies Recipe Questions
Can I use a different type of chocolate chip for this cake mix cookie recipe?
If you would like a little less dark chocolate you could use regular chocolate cake mix or semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips for this holiday cake cookie recipe.
How many cake cookies does this recipe make?
You should get about 24 cake cookies out of this recipe. Of course you can make the cookies bigger or smaller than I suggest, but the baking time will change.
How long do chocolate cake cookies stay fresh?
Store leftover homemade cake cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Can these cake mix cookies be frozen?
You can freeze the cake cookie dough balls in a zip-lock bag for up to 3 months. When ready to bake follow recipe instructions and top with white chocolate and peppermint when finished baking.
Looking For More Yummy Desserts? Try One (Or All) Of These!
Whew, we made it to the end! Not too hard right? I hope you and your family love this perfect holiday cookie! These are some of my absolute favorite flavors as far as sweets go and I loved getting to share this easy Chocolate Cake Cookie recipe with you! Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Chocolate Cake Cookies with Peppermint Sprinkle
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese Softened
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter Softened
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2 Oz White Chocolate Melted
- 1/3 Cup Crushed Peppermint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the cream cheese, butter, egg, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Using a stand or hand mixer beat together until well combined.
- Stir in the dark chocolate cake mix using a spoon or silicone spatula until there is no more white showing. The mixture will be thick. Stir in the dark chocolate chips until just combined.
- Take the dough and roll a 1 inch ball. Drop the ball of dough in a bowl of powdered sugar and coat completely. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and repeat until all the dough is gone.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes on the center rack and rotate halfway through. Once finished let cool on a cooling rack or plate.
- Once cooled, melt the white chocolate in the microwave until smooth. Using a spoon, drizzle over the finished cookies. While the chocolate is still warm sprinkle on the crushed peppermint. Enjoy!
- Leftover Storage: Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Freezer Option: Store unbaked cookie dough balls in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. When ready to bake follow recipe instructions for baking and topping.