These Blueberry White Chocolate Scones are the perfect brunch or breakfast recipe for lazy Sundays, Mother’s Day or Easter! The dough can be frozen, prepped ahead of time or made into mini scones!
Blueberry White Chocolate Scones with Lemon Glaze
Ah, scones. Probably one of the most underrated breakfast, brunch and afternoon treats in America. These Blueberry White Chocolate Scones are fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside. The blueberry and white chocolate scones are then topped with a Lemon Glaze that pulls the entire pastry together. These homemade blueberry lemon scones will be a new must-make recipe for any brunch occasion. Scones are a bit more work than your average muffin or cookie recipe, but they are so much better and in my opinion a little more fancy and special. So fire up the tea kettle and get ready to enjoy a delicious blueberry and white chocolate scone!
What Do You Need To Make Blueberry White Chocolate Scones?
The kitchen tools you will need for this blueberry lemon scones recipe are:
- A Large and Small Bowl
- A Cookie Sheet and Parchment Paper
- A Cheese Grater, Pastry Cutter or Sharp Knife
The ingredients you will need for these homemade blueberry scones with lemon glaze are:
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda
- Milk and Buttermilk
- Vanilla Extract
- Blueberries and White Chocolate Chips
How Do You Make Homemade Blueberry Lemon Scones?
Making the Dough for Blueberry White Chocolate Scones
- Combine all your dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Set Aside.
- Cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter. Use your hands to combine.
- Add buttermilk, milk, vanilla extract to the bowl and mash/stir using your hands or a spoon. DO NOT OVER MIX
- Add in white chocolate chips and blueberries and fold in until just combined. The finished dough will be crumbly.
Cutting and Baking the Blueberry Lemon Scones
- Take the finished dough and form into a circle about an inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 8 pieces. Place each piece on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Let the scones chill in the fridge for 2 hours, or the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, brush scones with buttermilk and bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- When scones are finished top with Lemon Glaze.
Tips For The Best Blueberry White Chocolate Scones
Don’t Overwork the White Chocolate Scone Dough
When combining the liquids in with the blueberry and white chocolate scone dough try your best to mix until just combined. Over-mixing will lead to the blueberry lemon scones being dense, and no one wants that.
Let The White Chocolate Scones Chill
To get the blueberry and white chocolate scones to have that light and airy inside and crisp outside you will need to let the blueberry scone dough chill. The white chocolate scones come out the best when the scone dough is cold going into the oven. To chill place the cut white chocolate and blueberry scone dough into the freezer for 30 minutes, or the fridge for 2 hours or overnight. Personally, I like the freezer method because it is the fastest.
Common Blueberry White Chocolate Scones Recipe Questions
Can I Make the Blueberry Lemon Scone Dough Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can. You can make the white chocolate scone dough the day before and and cover and refrigerate overnight. Next, shape the scone dough the next day when ready to bake.
Can I Freeze These Blueberry White Chocolate Scones?
Yes, the cooked un-glazed blueberry white chocolate scones can be frozen for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat the homemade blueberry lemon scones thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat the glaze.
How Long Do Homemade Blueberry Scones Stay Fresh?
These homemade blueberry lemon scones will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days. See above tip for freezing the scones for a longer shelf life.
Can I Use a Different Kind of Fruit Besides Blueberries?
Sure! Some other great options are blackberries, raspberries, strawberries or cherries. Obviously using a different fruit will change the flavor of the scones from the original blueberry and white chocolate scones recipe.
Can I Use This Blueberry Scones Recipe for Mini Scones?
Yep! To make these easy blueberry scones mini, shape two equal circles of raw scone dough instead of one. Then cut each circle of scone dough into 8 even triangles for a total of 16 scones. To bake the blueberry lemon scones, reduce the bake time down to 15 minutes, or until golden brown on the tops of the scones.
Love This Breakfast Recipe? Try These Next!
Loved these Blueberry White Chocolate Scones?! Don’t forget to comment and rate below!
Shop This Recipe:
I make a small commission through purchases made through the links on this page. See Disclosure for more information.
Blueberry White Chocolate Scones with Lemon Glaze
- 2 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup White Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 8 Tbsp Unsalted Butter Cold
- 1 Cup Buttermilk Plus More For Brushing
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 Cup Blueberries Fresh or Frozen
- 1/2 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Zest of One Lemon
Blueberry White Chocolate Scones
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Cut in the butter using a pastry knife or cheese grater and use your hands to combine.
- Add in buttermilk, milk, and vanilla extract and mash and stir until just combined. Try not to over-mix, the dough should be crumbly. Fold in blueberries and white chocolate chips until just combined.
- On a floured surface form dough into a circle. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough like a pizza into 8 triangles. Place each scone on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Chill the dough in the freezer for 30 minutes or the fridge for 2 hours. The scones come out best if the dough is cold going into the oven. While the dough is chilling preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once the scones are chilled brush the tops with additional buttermilk and cook on the center rack for 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Let cool and top with Lemon Glaze.
- Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together until combined. The glaze should be the consistency of heavy cream. Add additional powdered sugar or milk to reach your desired consistency. Drizzle over the cooked scones once they are cooled.
Love this Recipe? Share with Your Friends!