The perfect sweet breakfast or brunch for the entire family! This is the best Crispy French Toast Recipe featuring cornflakes, buttermilk and cinnamon! Add your favorite toppings for the perfect crunchy finish!
Out of all the meals throughout the day breakfast/brunch is my favorite. I love it so much that I will eat the foods for any meal at any time of the day. One of my family's favorite breakfasts is this crispy french toast recipe! This french toast is very simple, requires no special kitchen tools, and it is loved by both kids and adults. I also love that this is a classic recipe with with a classic flavor profile, but has a few changes to make it special and unique. Finally, the prep work is simple and this breakfast recipe is ready in under 30 minutes making this a perfect fast and simple go-to breakfast recipe!
What Do You Need To Make Crispy French Toast?
I love this crispy french toast recipe, because it requires no special kitchen equipment. Most households will have these things in their homes already, because they are staples in the kitchen. Simple recipes like this are some of my favorite to create, because I do not like to make people feel like they have to have something special or fancy to make my food.
The kitchen tools you will need for this crunchy french toast recipe are:
- A Large Skillet
- Bowls- Shallow, wide bowls work best
- A Spatula
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
The ingredients you will need for this easy buttermilk french toast recipe are:
- A Loaf of Finger Rolls OR Your Favorite Bread
- Corn Flakes
- Optional Extra Toppings
How Do You Make Crunchy French Toast?
Buttermilk French Toast is a classic breakfast and brunch staple. Why? Because it is rather simple to make and absolutely delicious! Making homemade french toast is pretty easy and requires only a few steps. For this crispy french toast recipe I will go over the basics and some alternative options, so that you can make it your own!
- You will need to pick a liquid to coat your bread in. the standard being eggs. You could use just eggs, a combination of eggs and your favorite milk. Something like cow's milk or almond milk. For this crispy french toast recipe I chose to use buttermilk. I love using buttermilk in recipes, especially for breakfast and dessert recipes. The finish is thick and creamy and gives the french toast and sweet taste. If you want that same effect and can't find buttermilk I would use heavy cream.
- Once you have chosen your liquid it is time to pick your add-ins. The common ones used are vanilla extract, and cinnamon. I stick to a pretty classic combo for this buttermilk french toast recipe with the addition of nutmeg. I do like a lot of cinnamon in my french toast, so if you want more of a subtle flavor I would cut the recipe recommendation down a bit. You will then add in your chosen spices to your egg and liquid combination and whisk it up!
- Now it is time to prepare the bread slices (finger rolls). You will take one slice of bread, dip it into the liquid mixture first. Make sure to let the excess drip off.
- Once it is thoroughly coated you will then place the coated bread into a shallow bowl of corn flakes and press to coat both sides.
- Place the french toast in a heated and buttered skillet and cook on low-medium until the outside is crispy. Flip the french toast and repeat on the other side.
- Serve crunchy french toast with optional extra toppings like syrup and whipped cream.
Check out the Crispy French Toast Recipe Video below for a more detailed look at prep!
Common Buttermilk French Toast Recipe Questions
What are Finger Rolls? Do I have to use them for this crunchy french toast?
Finger rolls are a very soft and thick white bread that comes in a loaf. You can pull each piece off individually and each piece comes off flaky and perfect. I usually find this in the fresh baked goods section of my local grocery store.
If you can't find finger rolls (or you do not want to use them) then pick a thick pillow-y white bread, like Texas Toast. Save the healthy oat bread for another recipe, you will want some fluffy white bread for this buttermilk french toast recipe!
How should you store leftover homemade french toast?
Store leftover buttermilk french toast in an airtight container or bag in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To re-heat french toast, place in the microwave for 20 seconds, or until warm. Alternatively, you could place the crispy french toast in the toast for 2 minutes. This keeps the outside of the buttermilk french toast crisp and warms the french toast up at the same time!
Can buttermilk french toast be frozen?
Yes, leftover homemade buttermilk french toast can be frozen for up to 2 months in an airtight container. When ready to heat, place french toast in the toaster until crispy and warm, about 3 minutes.
Looking for More Brunch Ideas? Try These!
Crispy Buttermilk French Toast
- 1 Loaf Finger Rolls*
- 4 Cups Corn Flakes
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups Buttermilk
- Unsalted Butter For The Skillet
- Maple Syrup
- Sliced Fruit
- Whipped Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- In a wide bowl add the corn flakes and set aside. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg and whisk to combine.
- One at a time, take one finger roll (or thick white bread) and dip it in the egg mixture letting the excess drain off. Then dip the bread in the corn flakes completely coating both sides. Set aside and repeat until all slices are coated.
- Heat a large skillet and add butter. When butter is melted and bubbling add prepared bread slices and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. Repeat this until all french toast slices are golden and crispy.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Sharing is Caring!