A classic and perfect combination! These Homemade Soft Pretzels pair perfectly with my Pretzel Cheese Sauce Trio! This easy pretzels recipe is soft on the inside and crisp and golden on the outside. Give this perfect party appetizer a try!
Homemade soft pretzels and cheese sauce are the perfect party appetizer combo! This pretzel and cheese recipe works perfect as an appetizer for game days, holiday parties, and get-togethers with friends and family. This homemade pretzel recipe is easier than you think and paired with simple and diverse cheese sauces ensures everyone will find something they love. All you will need is a little prep work and patience and you are well on your way to that perfectly salty and soft pretzel we all know and love. I hope you enjoy the best Homemade Soft Pretzels and Cheese Sauce!
What Do You Need To Make Homemade Pretzels?
The kitchen tools you will need to make this soft pretzel recipe are:
- A Large Pot
- A Stand Mixer with Hook Attachment
- A Towel
- 1-2 Cookie Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- A Slotted Spoon
- Measuring Cups/Spoons
- Basting Brush
The ingredients you will need for this homemade soft pretzel recipe are:
- Active Dry Yeast
- An Egg
How Do You Make Homemade Soft Pretzels?
In my experience, when I ask people if they have ever made a homemade soft pretzels recipe their answer is usually, no. The reasoning being that they are too difficult. Making this homemade pretzel recipe is no more difficult than making bread. The dough is similar, and there is only a couple extra steps involved. Those extras being boiling in baking soda, and forming the pretzel dough into a classic pretzel shape.
Homemade Soft Pretzel Dough Prep
- First, you will need to make the pretzel dough. Making the dough can seem intimidating, but in reality it is actually simple. Starting off you will want to let the active dry yeast stand in the water mix for at least five minutes. Ideally, until it begins to foam. This helps the homemade soft pretzels rise and saves you from having super dense, tough pretzels.
- Next, you will want to add your remaining ingredients and mix using the hook attachment on your stand mixer. When adding the flour you may need a bit more or less than the soft pretzel recipe calls for. This is always an approximation and you will want to go off of feel. You want the soft pretzel dough not to be sticky and pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Once this happens, it is time to let the pretzel dough rise. I let mine go for at least an hour in a warm place. A trick I like to use when getting dough to rise is placing it in a warm oven. I turn my oven on the lowest setting, and once it hits about 145 degrees I turn it off. This ensures that the oven is warm, but not hot enough to cook the dough. I place the dough covered in an oiled bowl and within the hour it has doubled its size. I like using this method because my home is rather cool, and finding a warm place can be challenging. This ensures that my homemade pretzel dough will rise every time!
Homemade Soft Pretzel Twists
- Once the pretzel dough rises, it is time to separate the dough into equal parts and roll it into shape. For this pretzel recipe I always have good luck getting 16 equal pieces. If you get a few more, or less don't sweat it, they will still roll out and work perfectly.
- Next, you will want to shape your pretzels. Your first pretzel twist will probably look a bit rough, but you will have it down pretty fast! First, you will need to roll out your dough. Take one of you balls of homemade pretzel dough and roll it out into a long rope on a flat, clean surface. I like to use the palms of my hand and roll in and in and out motion. DO NOT flour the counter, or table before doing this. The dough wont get enough traction and it will be a pain to get it rolled out and it wont stick to the rest of the dough to form the twist. I like to roll my dough around 18-20 inches in length.
- Next, you will take the two ends of the dough and pinch them together. While holding the pinched end with one hand, twist the two sides over and under each other to form a twisted rope.
- Finally, take the pinched end and bring it to meet the other end crossing once in the middle. You will want to then pinch the two ends together once more to ensure the homemade soft pretzels hold their shape. I like to tuck the pinched end into the looped end to made sure it does not come apart.
- Once you have all your homemade soft pretzel twists into their shapes it is time to get cookin'!
Check out the Recipe Video below for a step by step look at how to twist pretzels!
Cooking Homemade Soft Pretzels
- Finally, you will need to give these pretzel twists a baking soda bath. This is the step that a lot of people seem intimidated by for some reason. I know it is an extra step that traditional bread does not require, but it really only takes about five or so extra minutes. First, you will bring a large pot of water and baking soda to a boil.
- Then you will drop each homemade pretzel into the boiling water for about 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds, remove the pretzel with a slotted spoon and repeat until all the pretzels are bathed. This step gives the pretzels that golden to deep brown crisp outside that makes a pretzel, well a pretzel!
- Finally, you are ready to get the pretzel twists in the oven! Bake this homemade soft pretzel recipe until the outside of the pretzels are golden.
That's it! Now you have to patiently wait for them to bake and be ready to eat. This, to me, is the hardest part!
Check Out These Other Great Appetizer Recipes!
What Do Soft Pretzels Pair Good With?
I am obsessed with homemade soft pretzels and cheese. There really is no more dynamic combo. I feature three incredible cheese sauces: Beer Cheese, Chipotle Queso and Classic American in my Cheese Sauce Trio Recipe. All three of these cheese sauce make a great pairing with these soft pretzels. Another great option is honey or Dijon mustard!
How Do You Store Soft Pretzels?
Store leftover homemade soft pretzels at room temperature in an zip-lock bag or airtight container for up to 3 days. Make sure to let them cool completely first before storing.
To re-heat soft pretzel twists, place in oven for 5 minutes at 350 degrees F or the microwave for 30 seconds.
Can Homemade Soft Pretzels Be Frozen?
Yes, these soft pretzels freeze great and make a wonderful easy snack. To freeze let soft pretzel twists cool completely and wrap each in foil, then place in a freezer safe bag. Store for up to 1 month. To re-heat place frozen pretzels in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until warmed through. I do not recommend re-warming frozen soft pretzel twists in the microwave.
Love This Easy Soft Pretzel Recipe? Comment and Rate Below!
Homemade Soft Pretzels With a Twist
Homemade Soft Pretzels
- 1 ½ Cups Warm Water
- 1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp White Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt plus more for the top
- ¼ Oz Active Dry Yeast
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter Melted
- 4 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg + 1 Tbsp Water
- 10 Cups Water
- ⅓ Cup Baking Soda
- Cheese Sauce Trio
- Place warm water, sugar, salt and active dry in the bowl of a stand mixer and let stand for 5 minuets, until it begins to foam.
- Attach the hook attachment to the stand mixer. Add melted butter and flour and mix on low until combined, about 2 minutes. Switch the mixer to medium and mix until the dough begins to separate from the sides of the bowl, about 5 minutes. You may need to add more flour if it is too sticky.
- Remove dough and oil the same bowl. Place dough back into the bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Once dough has risen, cut dough into 16 equal parts. Take one piece of dough and roll into a rope about 18- 20 inches long on a clean surface. Take the two ends of the rope and pinch them together. Then twist the dough over and under each other until you reach the end. Then, take the two ends and pinch them together crossing once in the middle. *See recipe video for demo
- Once all pretzels are twisted, bring 10 cups of water and baking soda to a boil in a large pot. One at a time, add the pretzels to the boiling water and leave in for about 30 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat until all pretzels are finished.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine egg and water in a small bowl and whisk together. Brush the egg mixture over each pretzel and then top with course kosher salt.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes (rotating the baking sheets halfway through) or until the tops are golden brown. Serve warm with Cheese Sauce Trio! Enjoy!
Thank you for sharing!