Ranch. Cheese. Hot sauce. Is there a better combo?! NO! This Baked Buffalo Chicken dip is the perfect appetizer for any occasion, and ready in 30 minutes!
This baked buffalo chicken dip combines the three basic food groups: cheese, hot sauce, and ranch. I'm only kidding, but really if you are from the Midwest, like I am, you probably completely agree with me. This dip makes the perfect appetizer for game days, parties and holiday gatherings.
This dip can be baked then stored in a crock pot and kept warm for hours, making it great for tailgates. Pair with tortilla chips, pretzels or even added to different recipes for the ultimate combo.
- Ranch and Hot Sauce: My favorite hot sauce to use in Frank's Red Hot and I love using my homemade buttermilk ranch as well. You could of course use a store bought ranch if you prefer and a different hot sauce, but the flavor will vary slightly.
- Shredded Cheese: I like using shredded cheddar cheese and a touch of mozzarella as well. The mozzarella adds more creaminess to the dip.
Cooked Chicken: Rotisserie chicken is the best for the dip and makes it nice and creamy and adds additional flavor. Alternatively, you can use leftover chicken with mild spices. I do not recommend using canned chicken.
Why You'll Love It
Quick and Easy to Make Plus Ready in About 30 Minutes
Versatile. Can be Enjoyed with Chips or Added to Different Recipes
Perfect for Parties of All Occasions, plus a Fan Favorite
- Measure out all your buffalo dip ingredients, or just let your heart decide if that's your thing.
- Combine everything into a large bowl and mash and stir to combine. I like to use a fork for this step.
- Once the buffalo dip is combined, pour dip into a baking dish and bake on the center rack for 25 minutes, or until melty and bubbling. You can also sprinkle on additional cheese if you wish.
- Serve your finished dip warm with chips, veggies or crackers.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. It rarely lasts that long, honestly. We ready to eat, I scoop the amount I want into a small bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds (or until warm) stirring afterwards.
Bake the Dip First
First thing you need to do to make the best buffalo chicken dip is bake it in the oven. SO many other dip recipes that are similar to this always go strait to the crock pot. Don't do it, not yet anyway.
I myself have ignored this advice and the result was exactly what my mother said would happen. The cheese didn't melt evenly, the ranch and hot sauce separated and it was not cute.
Pile on the Toppings
I am all about the extras when it comes to my recipes. For this buffalo dip recipe I love to add additional cheese to the top (because life is better with cheese), additional ranch and green onions when serving.
These things are completely optional, but if you want to take your dip game to a whole new level don't be shy with the extras.
Time Saver Tip
Using store-bought rotisserie chicken is great for this dip recipe! It saves on having to bake chicken ahead of time and is cost effective as well.
Yes, this dip can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time and stored covered in the fridge. When you are ready to bake, cook dip according to recipe instructions. Alternatively, you can bake the buffalo dip and store in the fridge then re-warm in a crockpot for 2 hours on low before serving.
When buffalo dip is runny it usually means that you didn't add enough chicken and too much ranch dressing and hot sauce. Before baking the dip will be thick, so do not be fooled and add in more ranch or hot sauce.
Buffalo dip goes great with tortilla chips, crackers, pretzels, carrot sticks, celery stick or toasted bread. If you are wanting to mix it up, add this dip over top of baked potatoes, pasta or a sandwich for a fun spin on a classic. Check out my Buffalo Grilled Cheese and Smashed Buffalo Potatoes for more buffalo sauce recipes.
Personally, I do not like to freeze buffalo dip. The cream cheese in the dip will get a strange texture after it is thawed and be grainy.
You May Also Enjoy...
Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 ½ Cups Cooked Chicken Breasts Shredded
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese Softened
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- ½ Cup Mozzarella Cheese Shredded (Optional)
- 1 Cup Ranch Dressing Plus more for topping
- ½ Cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- Sliced Green Onions
- Additional Ranch Dressing
- Additional Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is preheating, combine all ingredients into a large bowl. Stir and mash together until well combined.
- Pour into a 7x11 inch (or 9x9) baking dish and spread out evenly. You can add more cheddar cheese to the top if you wish or leave plain.
- Cook on the middle rack in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and melted throughout.
- Stir before serving with tortilla chips, celery, carrots, or whatever you are into! If you aren't going to eat immediately, place into a crock pot on warm to keep warm and fresh all day!
- Leftover Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheating Instructions: Reheat in the microwave until warm (30-60 seconds), stirring to make sure heat is transferred. Alternatively, you can reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until warm.
- Serving Suggestions: I like to serve my buffalo dip with tortilla chips, crackers, pretzels, baby carrots, or celery sticks.
Sharing is Caring!
I love the flavour!
This sounds wonderful and I’m making it tomorrow night! The question I have is: I don’t have Sherry (or any alcohol) is there something else I can use? I don’t want to buy a bottle use a little then have it go bad. I love your recipes and have tried quite a few of them.
Hello, thanks for your comment. This recipe uses no alcohol so you should be good to go! 🙂
This was SO delicious!! I followed your exact recipe and I don't think it was too thick at all. It was nice and creamy and the flavors were great! My husband ate two bowlfuls and wanted more. We had plenty for leftovers. Thanks--this is a keeper!
So happy you guys enjoyed the dip! We love this one as well 🙂
Ellen P Melvin
THE absolute BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip I've ever made!! A+++++++++ rating on this one!
Thank you so much!
Oh boy I am so glad you posted this!!!We love using the crockpot and I have been wanting some new tasty recipes!
Regards Hannah Flack
LOOks so delicious. I love how you can use it in various ways !
Thank you! Yep it is very versatile which is great!
I have no kids, but I surely do like cheese 🙂 I do think it’s important, though, to cook with your kids. It’s part of becoming a competent adult.
Totally agree! I love to cook with my son. And really cheese is the greatest!!!
sheenam @ thetwincookingproject
This looks absolutely yummy.
Thank you so much! It is one of our favs for football season!
Lisa | Garlic & Zest
You've outdone yourself with this recipe -- it's seriously over the top. My husband and daughter are always begging me to make fun dips like this one (I'm usually the hummus queen) -- guess I'll have to now!
Thank you Lisa! This dip is def one of our favs! I am a hummus lover as well, but I havn't been able to convert the rest of my family lol. That will be my next mission!