Ranch. Cheese. Hot sauce. Is there a better combo?! NO! This Baked Buffalo Chicken dip is the perfect appetizer for any occasion!
It is finally Fall, which means that football is back! My family lives in Wisconsin (Go Pack Go) and are huge football fans. We love hanging out on game days and one of our appetizers of choice is this dip recipe! If you don’t live in the states, or you’re just not into sports, then football probably matters very little to you. No matter, this Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip is also perfect for parties, holidays, or a lazy Sunday when you just feel like a tasty snack! It is extremely simple to make and can be kept warm in a crockpot to enjoy for hours. Whenever I throw parties, this dip is always requested and is usually completely wiped out by the end. Enjoy!
This buffalo chicken dip combines the three basic food groups: cheese, hot sauce, and ranch. I’m only kidding, but really if you are from the Midwest, like I am, you probably completely agree with me! Cheese is one of my favorite foods on the planet. It goes well with so many different foods. It can work with sweet, savory and in this case spicy!
Another staple in this appetizer is ranch dressing. I didn’t realize how big of a Midwestern thing ranch was until I moved to Japan and they looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for it. This was also during the time I met someone who said they hated ranch (horror). Okay, enough chat, let’s get into the recipe!
What Do You Need To Make Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip?
The kitchen tools you will need for this oven buffalo chicken dip recipe are:
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- A Large Bowl
- A Baking Dish (9×9 or 7×11 work great!)
- A Spoon
The ingredients you will need for this easy baked buffalo dip recipe are:
- Cream Cheese
- Ranch and Hot Sauce
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cooked Chicken (rotisserie works great for this recipe!)
- Some Spices
How Do You Make the Best Buffalo Chicken Dip?
- Measure out all your buffalo dip ingredients.
- Combine in a large bowl and mash and stir to combine. I like to use a fork for this step.
- Once dip is combined, pour dip into a baking dish and bake on the center rack for 25 minutes.
- Once buffalo dip is baked add additional cheese and bake until melted (Optional).
- Serve baked buffalo dip warm with chips, veggies or crackers.
Check out the Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip with ranch recipe video for a more detailed look at prep for this recipe.
Oven Baked Buffalo Dip Tips and Suggestions
If you have read any of my other recipes (you should if you haven’t) then you would know that my mom is a wizard in the kitchen, and a lot of my own cooking skills have come from her. This is another recipe that my mother handed down to me.
I realize that this baked buffalo chicken dip is not revolutionary and there are multiple other variations on the internet. Lucky for you, because you found the best one! There are a few things that I really encourage you to do, because my mom says so and that is law, right?
Bake the Buffalo Chicken Dip First
First thing you need to do to make the best buffalo chicken dip is bake it in the oven. SO many other dip recipes that are similar to this always go strait to the crock pot. Don’t do it, not yet anyway. I myself have ignored this advice and the result was exactly what my mother said would happen. The cheese didn’t melt evenly, the ranch and hot sauce separated and it was not cute.
From that day on I a) really believed that my mom knew what she was talking about and b) would never do the crockpot mistake again. I know it feels easier in the moment to just plop it all in and forget about it, but some great things take a little more effort. This oven baked buffalo chicken dip is one of those things.
Pile on the Toppings
I am all about the extras when it comes to my recipes. For this baked buffalo dip recipe I love to add additional cheese to the top (because life is better with cheese), additional ranch and green onions when serving. These things are completely optional, but if you want to take your dip game to a whole new level don’t be shy with the extras.
Time Saver Tip
Using store-bought rotisserie chicken is great for this baked buffalo chicken dip recipe! It saves on having to bake chicken ahead of time and is cost effective as well.
Looking For More Appetizer Recipes? Try these!
Common Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe Questions
How long does baked buffalo chicken dip stay fresh?
I store this oven baked buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-5 days. It rarely lasts that long, honestly. Then I just scoop the amount I want into a small bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds and stirring afterwards.
Can buffalo chicken dip be made ahead of time?
Yes, this baked buffalo chicken dip can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time and stored covered in the fridge. When you are ready to bake, cook dip according to recipe instructions. Alternatively, you can bake the buffalo dip and store in the fridge then re-warm in a crockpot for 2 hours on low before serving.
Can baked buffalo chicken dip be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this baked buffalo chicken dip with ranch. To freeze prepare dip according to recipe directions then instead of baking store in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. When ready to bake let thaw in the fridge overnight, then follow baking instructions.
Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Sliced Green Onions
- Additional Ranch Dressing
- Additional Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is preheating, combine all ingredients into a large bowl. Stir and mash together until well combined.
- Pour into a 7x11 inch (or 9x9) baking dish and spread out evenly. You can add more cheddar cheese to the top if you wish or leave plain.
- Cook on the middle rack in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and melted throughout.
- Stir before serving with tortilla chips, celery, carrots, or whatever you are into! If you aren't going to eat immediately, place into a crock pot on warm to keep warm and fresh all day!
- Leftover Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheating Instructions: Reheat in the microwave until warm (30-60 seconds), stirring to make sure heat is transferred. Alternatively, you can reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until warm.
- Freezer Option: Combine ingredients then store in a freezer bag for up to 3 months in the freezer. When ready to bake let thaw in fridge overnight, then follow baking instructions.
Sharing is Caring!