These Cheesy Crispy Smashed Potatoes are topped with buffalo sauce and make the perfect side dish to any meal! The smashed potatoes are boiled then cooked in the oven to get nice and crispy these will be a new favorite for everyone.
Hello and happy spring! This Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Cheesy Buffalo Topping is an year round favorite in our home. The potatoes are crisp, then topped with gooey cheese and a ranch and hot sauce combo for the ultimate side dish.
My family often pairs these tasty taters with chicken, burgers, or just a salad if we are eating lighter that night. I hope you and your family love these simple and tasty must-make smashed potatoes!
- A Cookie Sheet
- A Large Pot
- A Strainer or Slotted Spoon
- A Spatula
- Parchment Paper or Cooking Spray
- Potatoes: Purple, baking potatoes, Idaho potatoes, or red potatoes work awesome for this smashed potato recipe. You could also use mini potatoes if you want to use this recipe as a small bites appetizer. If using mini potatoes cut the boil time in half and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Ranch Dressing: I love my homemade ranch recipe, but you can use your favorite store bought brand as well.
- Frank’s Hot Sauce
- Cheese, Cheese and More Cheese: I like using cheddar and mozzarella cheese to top the potatoes with. Alternatively, you can use pepper jack, Colby, or Monterey jack.
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Smashed Potatoes
- Clean the potatoes and add them to a large pot of boiling water. Cover and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from water and pat dry. Place on a cookie sheet and smash using a fork of spatula.
- Bake on center rack at 425 degrees until crispy.
- Remove from oven and pile with cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted.
- Top with ranch and hot sauce and serve warm.
Note: Depending on the size of your potatoes you may need to boil them longer. Personally, I like to use potatoes smaller than my fist.
Smashed buffalo potatoes can be saved in the fridge for up to two days, just leave off the sauces. To rewarm the potatoes I suggest heating in the oven until warm then topping with ranch and hot sauce.
First off, I do not recommend freezing these easy buffalo smashed potatoes. I know everyone loves to be able to freeze and save leftovers, but this recipe is not good for that purpose. They are best fresh out of the oven.
More Side Dish Ideas
If ranch and hot sauce aren’t your thing don’t worry you can customize these smashed potatoes to everyone’s taste. You could leave them plain with just cheese, top with barbecue sauce, Chipotle mayo, chimichurri sauce, Sriracha, or use some herbs and spices. This Smashed Potatoes Recipe is super versatile and great for everyone.
My family loves eating these buffalo smashed potatoes with chicken or burgers. Also, we use these cheesy smashed potatoes for Meatless Mondays often and pair with a salad, or soup. Some great soup options are my Spicy Black Bean Soup and Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup. Both are vegan and a great lighter option for this heavy potato dish. Some of my favorite salads include my Kale Caesar and Apple and Spinach Salad.
Love This Yummy Buffalo Smashed Potato Recipe? Rate and Comment Below (or just say hello)!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Cheesy Buffalo Topping
- In a large pot fill halfway with water and add potatoes. Heat over high heat until boiling, then reduce heat and cover for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Once potatoes are soft remove from water and dry. Place on cookie sheet and use a spatula to firmly press down and smash the potato then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat until all are smashed. Bake on middle rack for 15-20 minutes, or until slightly crisp.
- Remove and sprinkle with cheese and cook an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Once finished top with ranch and hot sauce and serve warm Enjoy!
Don’t Forget To Share With Your Friends!