This Asian style Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Kabobs recipe is perfect for the sunshine of spring and summer. The skewers are loaded with chicken, peppers, onion, mango and drizzled with homemade teriyaki sauce.
With March here I am craving all the veggies and grilling of spring and summer. This Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Kabobs recipe is loaded with red onion, green onion, mango, chicken then coated in delicious homemade teriyaki sauce.
These Asian style chicken skewers are perfect for meal prep lunches and family dinners during the warm spring and summer months. Alternatively, this healthy dish can be made on a grill pan indoors to be enjoyed all year round. I hope you and your family love these grilled chicken teriyaki kabobs.
- A Grill or Grill Pan: I love making this chicken teriyaki on an outdoor grill, because the flavor develops more and you get a great char. Of course this recipe can be made indoors using a grill pan on the stove top.
- A Sharp Knife and Cutting Board: I like using a chef's knife because it works great for cutting both the veggies and the chicken. If using the same cutting board for cutting everything make sure to wash it after cutting your chicken, so you do not get any chicken residue on your fresh veggies.
- A Basting Brush: Alternatively, you can just drizzle the teriyaki sauce over the skewers with a spoon.
- 8-10 Wood or Metal Skewers: Depending on the size of your skewers you may need more or less. I used eight 12-inch skewers and that worked well for this kabobs recipe. Make sure to not crowd the skewers no matter the size, so the chicken will cook through properly.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: Alternatively, you can use a different type of chicken like chicken thighs. The flavor and texture of the meat will be a bit different, but this is a great option as well.
- Fresh Fruit and Veggies: I used a combination of green pepper, mango and red onion to add to my teriyaki chicken skewers. I love this flavor combination, but have some other great options listed below!
- Seasonings: I kept it real simple with this recipe and just used salt, pepper, and dried garlic. For a little extra spice you could add a bit of red pepper flakes as well.
- Sesame Seeds and Green Onion (Optional-For Serving)
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce: I adore my homemade teriyaki sauce and it is super simple to make and store in the fridge or freezer. If you do not wish to make your own you can of course use your favorite store-bought brand.
How to Make Chicken Kabobs
- Begin by slicing your boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes. Once sliced, add to a large bowl and season with salt, pepper, and garlic then coat in homemade teriyaki sauce. Cover the chicken and let it marinade in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or as long as overnight.
- While the chicken is marinading, chop the peppers, mango and red onion. Next, begin getting your outdoor grill prepped, or indoor grill pan heated.
- Once the chicken is done marinating, spray your metal skewers with cooking spray and add a cube of chicken, then a chunk of pepper, mango and red onion and repeat until the kabob is full. Repeat until all the chicken and veg are used and you have about 8-10 skewers of teryaki chicken.
- Brush entire kabob with additional teriyaki sauce then add to a heated grill or grill pan at medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes until a char has developed. Flip the skewer and cook on the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Brush with additional teriyaki sauce if desired.
- Top grilled chicken teriyaki kabobs with diced green onion, sesame seeds and additional teriyaki sauce then serve with cooked rice if desired.
Vegetable and Fruit Options: For these Japanese style chicken teriyaki kabobs I used a combination of mango, green pepper, and a red onion to add to the skewers. You can go with these or customize the kabobs to your liking. Some other great options include chunks of pineapple, a different color pepper (red, orange or yellow), zucchini or squash.
Prepping the Skewers: You will want to make sure you properly prep the skewers before you add on your ingredients. If using metal skewers, which I suggest, spray each skewer with cooking spray then string on the chicken and veggies. Alternatively, you can use wooden skewers which you will need to soak in water for 30 minutes before adding the produce and chicken.
Try these Grill Recipes Next
Grilled Skirt Steak
Grilled Chicken Spiedini
Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
Grilled Peaches with Honey Mascarpone
Pepper Lemon Chicken Thighs
To store cooked leftover chicken teriyaki kabobs remove from the kabobs and place in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To re-warm leftovers place in the microwave and heat for 30-60 seconds until chicken and veg is heated through. Alternatively, you can heat in a pan over medium heat or in the oven at 350 degrees F until warm.
Yes, I love making this recipe for meal prep and will pair the cooked teriyaki kabobs with cooked brown rice and black beans for a healthy and complete dish perfect for workweek lunches.
Yes, chicken teriyaki kabobs are perfect to make ahead of time to save on some prep work. Personally, I like to cut my chicken, add in my homemade teriyaki sauce then seal it all in a bag and let it marinade overnight. If you want to further prep ahead of time you can add everything to the prepped skewers up to 12 hours ahead of time and place them covered in the fridge until you are ready to grill them.
I love summer grilling season and my family and I adore this tasty Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Kabobs recipe and hope you love them as well!
Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Kabobs Recipe
- 2 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- ¾ Cup Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Large Green Pepper
- 1 Large Mango
- ½ Red Onion
- Sesame Seeds
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Green Onions Sliced
- While the chicken is marinading, chop the green pepper, mango and red onion into one inch chunks then begin getting your outdoor grill prepped, or indoor grill pan heated.
- Once the chicken is done marinating, spray your metal skewers with cooking spray and add a cube of chicken, then a chunk of pepper, mango and red onion and repeat until the kabob is full. Repeat until all the chicken and veg are used and you have about 8-10 skewers of teryaki chicken.Brush entire kabob with additional teriyaki sauce then add to a heated grill or grill pan at medium heat.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until a char has developed. Flip the skewer and cook on the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Make sure to rotate the chicken so all the sides cook and get some char.
- Once finished place on a serving tray and brush with additional teriyaki sauce if desired and top grilled chicken teriyaki kabobs with diced green onion, sesame seeds and additional teriyaki sauce then serve with cooked rice if desired. Enjoy!