This Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken is super simple and can be made ahead of time for easy prep! This recipe is also perfect for meal prep and can be eaten alone, turned into burrito bowls, or tacos!
Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Strawberry Salsa
I can’t be the only one that never wants summer and grill season to ever end, right?! As much as I adore my slow cooker, grilled anything will always come first in my heart. This Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken is super simple and versatile. This recipe is great on it’s own, paired with my Strawberry Pineapple Salsa, made into burrito bowls for meal prep, or meat for tacos! The sky’s the limit with this chicken people! This recipe is also freezer friendly making it perfect for a quick meal for a busy weeknight. I hope you and your family love this zesty chicken! Enjoy!
What Do You Need To Make Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken?
The kitchen tools you will need for this grilled chicken recipe are:
- A Grill or Grill Pan
- A Large Bowl or Zip-Lock Bag to Marinade the Chicken In
- Tongs or a Spatula
- A Knife and Cutting Board- For Carving the Cooked Chicken
- Airtight Storage Containers- If Meal Prepping
The ingredients you will need for this cilantro lime chicken recipe are:
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Fresh Cilantro
- Strawberry Pineapple Salsa for Serving
How Do You Make Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken?
- Combine all marinade ingredients into a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour marinade over chicken and let marinade in the fridge for at least 20 minutes (or as long as overnight).
- Heat grill or grill pan and cook chicken 7 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Let grilled chicken rest then slice and serve with Strawberry Pineapple Salsa, additional cilantro and fresh limes.
Tip: If the chicken is getting too charred and it is not fully cooked through, move the chicken to a cooler part of the grill until it’s finished.
Check out the Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken recipe video for a more detailed look at prep for this recipe!
Common Grilled Chicken Recipe Questions:
Is this cilantro lime grilled chicken recipe good for meal prep?
YES, yes holy cow yes! My husband loves meal prepping, and he adores when I make this Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken on a Sunday night, because it means he gets to enjoy the leftovers through the week. I pair this grilled chicken with brown rice/quinoa, black beans and my Strawberry Pineapple Salsa. The grilled chicken saves and warms up great!
How long does this grilled chicken recipe stay fresh?
When kept in an airtight container in the fridge this grilled chicken recipe stays fresh for up to 4 days.
Can I make the cilantro lime marinade ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the marinade for this grilled chicken recipe up to 3 days ahead of time and store the chicken marinade in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
Alternatively, you can make and freeze the marinade for up to 3 months. When you are ready to use the cilantro lime marinade let it de-thaw in the fridge, then add the chicken to the marinade.
Can this grilled chicken recipe be frozen?
Yes, you can add the marinade to the chicken and store the cilantro lime chicken in the freezer for up to 3 months until you are ready to use it. Let the frozen chicken de-thaw before placing the cilantro lime grilled chicken on the grill or grill pan.
Do I have to marinade the chicken?
Yes, the cilantro lime marinade adds so much flavor and the oil keeps the chicken from drying out on the grill. You can marinade the cilantro lime grilled chicken for as little as 20 minutes, or as long as overnight in the fridge.
Love To Grill? Try These Recipes Next!
Love this cilantro lime grilled chicken recipe? Don’t Forget to Comment and Rate Below!
Shop This Recipe:
I make a small commission from purchases made through the links on this page. See Disclosure for more information.
Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken with Strawberry Pineapple Salsa
Optional for Serving
- Fresh Limes
- Additional Cilantro
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, cumin, garlic and fresh cilantro in a small bowl and stir to combine. Pour over chicken breasts and let marinade for at least 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat grill or grill pan on stove top and add chicken when hot. Cook 7 minutes per side or until chicken has reached 165 degrees internally. If the chicken is getting too charred you can move it to a cooler part of the grill until cooked through.
- When finished cooking, slice and serve with Strawberry Pineapple Salsa, Enjoy!
- Leftovers: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Freezer Option: Store raw chicken and marinade in a freezer bag for up to 3 months in the freezer. When ready to cook defrost completely and cook according to recipe instructions.
- Meal Prep Suggestion: Serve cooked chicken with Strawberry Pineapple Salsa, cooked brown rice/quinoa, cooked black beans (I just make mine out of a can) and raw or cooked peppers.
- Alternate Preparation: You could make this chicken in the crockpot instead of the grill. This works great when you want to use the meat for tacos or strait out of the freezer. Cook in the crockpot (with the marinade) on high for 4 hours and low for 6 hours or until cooked through and falling apart. Shred and serve with tacos, nachos or burrito bowls.
Share with Your Friends and Family!