This Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe is so dreamy and the perfect addition to chicken, steak or over meatballs!
A wonderful sauce can change and enhance the same ole' same ole' recipe and make it feel brand new. This Creamy Mushroom Sauce recipe is the perfect addition to steaks, chicken, meatballs and even mashed potatoes.
This easy homemade sauce is also customizable and can be made vegan, use several different types of mushrooms or mix up the spices. Bonus, this sauce comes together at lighting speed in about 20 minutes. I hope you and your family love this tasty mushroom sauce with fresh thyme!
- A Large Pan: I love to use my caste iron skillet for this creamy mushroom sauce recipe, because it helps build the depth of flavor quickly. Any pan will work of course, just make sure it is at least 10 inches in diameter.
- A Whisk: A fork will work as well, just be careful not to damage your pan.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Knife and Cutting Board
- Mushrooms: Any mushrooms will do for this recipe, and I would go with what is in season. I used pre-sliced baby bella mushrooms (my go-to) for this sauce and it turned out great. You could get whole baby bella mushrooms and slice them yourself, shiitake mushrooms or Crimini mushrooms. Each mushroom has its own distinct flavor so using a different one will slightly change the sauce.
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Thyme and Garlic: You can use dried if you prefer, but the fresh thyme and garlic are going to make the flavor come through stronger.
- Half and Half: Alternatively, you could use milk, heavy whipping cream, or soy milk to make this sauce vegan. Depending on which liquid you use you may need to whisk the sauce longer or shorter for it to thicken.
- Butter and Olive Oil: I love using the combination of both, but you could use one or the other. If you are going to make this creamy mushroom sauce recipe vegan then you could just use olive oil or use a butter alternative.
How To Make Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Heat a large skillet (I love using my 12 inch iron skillet) over medium heat. Once skillet is warm, add the butter, olive oil, and sliced mushrooms (mine were pre-sliced baby bella mushrooms). Cook until mushrooms are browned and soft stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes
- Once the mushrooms are soft add the fresh minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the half and half, fresh thyme, and salt and pepper to task. Turn heat up and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and whisk until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. I like to run a spoon over the bottom of the pan and when the mushroom sauce begins to leave a streak it is finished.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve warm with recipe of choice (loads of great pairing ideas below), or store leftover creamy mushroom sauce in the fridge. Enjoy!
Other Great Sauce Recipes
- Grilled Chicken Spiedini: Use this creamy mushroom sauce recipe instead of the suggested lemon butter sauce to transform this crispy spiedini!
- Pepper Crusted Steak (Featured): This cast iron steak is is made for this mushroom sauce! Seriously, a match made in food heaven!
- Oven Baked Beef Meatballs: The perfect pairing for these meatballs that will take family dinners to the next (and delicious) level!
- Instant Pot Rotisserie Style Chicken: Another wonderful, quick option for a tasty family dinner. This creamy sauce pairs wonderfully with this juicy chicken recipe!
- Country Fried Pork Chops: A tasty comfort food option that will go wonderfully with this sauce.
- Ricotta Gnocchi: A great vegetarian option to pair this mushroom sauce with.
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes: These vegan potatoes are creamy and this sauce works great as a gravy alternative. To make this mushroom sauce vegan see alteration suggestions in the recipe notes.
- Simple Oven Baked Chicken Breasts: Take this classic oven baked chicken to the next level with this tasty mushroom sauce. This recipe is perfect for picky eaters, kids and for meal prep!
I do not recommend freezing this mushroom sauce recipe. Because the sauce is made with half and half when it freeze the sauce breaks down and when it is thawed no longer has a creamy and smooth texture. I suggest making the sauce right before you or ready to serve it, or a day early and storing in the fridge.
Some simple ways to customize this mushroom sauce would be using a different type of mushroom, swapping out the liquid, or using different spices. Some different spice you could use to change the flavor of the sauce would be fresh rosemary instead of thyme or even oregano. Also, you could add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to add a punch of spice.
Storing leftover sauce is very simple and makes it so you can enjoy your sauce for days. Store leftover creamy mushroom sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
I\When ready to enjoy heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until warmed through. Alternatively, you could add the sauce back into a skillet and heat over medium heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
If you are adding the sauce to chicken, steak or another recipe I suggest heating the sauce separate from the main dish. If you add everything together then microwave it the sauce will heat faster and be blazing hot, while your meat still cool in the center.
I hope you love this amazing Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe! Tell me what you think below!
Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- Heat a large skillet (I love using my 12 inch iron skillet) over medium heat. Once the skillet is warm, add the butter, olive oil, and sliced mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until they are browned and soft stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Once the mushrooms are soft add the fresh minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute until fragrant.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, mince the fresh garlic and remove the fresh thyme leaves and discard the stems.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the half and half, fresh thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat up and bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to low and whisk until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve warm with recipe of choice, or store leftover creamy mushroom sauce in the fridge. Enjoy!
Thank You for Sharing!