Honestly, is there anything better than chips drenched in melted cheese then topped with an assortment of yumminess?! This Pork Carnitas Nachos with Homemade Queso recipe is one of my favorite guilty pleasure foods. It is perfect for a busy weeknight when I have leftover Crockpot Pork Carnitas, or for a party to share with friends. This recipe is awesome because the meat can be made ahead of time and used for a variety of recipes like tacos, burrito bowls, and of course these nachos. Get your tummy ready for some goodness, because these nachos will leave you full and happy.
What Do You Need To Make Pork Carnitas Nachos?
For this recipe the kitchen supplies you will need are:
- A sharp knife and cutting board
- A small saucepan and whisk
- A cookie sheet
- A small bowl and spoon
- A mandolin-optional
Need More Mexican Inspired Recipe Ideas?!
Can I freeze this recipe?
No, it would not be a good idea to freeze the finished nachos. However, you can save the pork and cheese in the fridge for up to 3 days and reassemble the nachos for leftovers. For more leftover ideas and tips for the pork see my Pork Carnitas Tacos recipe.
Can I use a different kind of cheese?
Sure! I love this simple homemade queso and think it goes great with the flavor of the pork. However, if you have a store bought favorite or one you already love and make toss it on there! If you are wanting to use shredded cheese then place the chips on a sheet pan and top with pork and cheese and warm in the oven until cheese is good and melted, about 10 minutes. Then top with extras like jalapeno and cilantro. If you are using a liquid cheese out of a jar just heat it up first then assemble your nachos.
I don’t like pork! Can I use a different kind of meat?
Sure, why not. You could use leftover chicken or steak. My tip would be that you don’t use a meat with a competing flavor or marinade For example, don’t use chicken that was topped with caeser salad dressing. That would be no good. Stick with something in the Mexican spice family, or neutral like garlic or pepper. Another option for a vegetarian twist would be using fajita veggies or cooked tofu.
What are some other good topping ideas?
You could add on your favorite salsa, sour cream, diced tomatoes, Serrano peppers, black beans, cooked corn, diced red pepper or anything else that you would want to give a try!
Tried This Recipe? Don’t Forget to Comment and Rate Below!
Pork Carnitas Nachos with Homemade Queso Recipe
Pork Carnitas Nachos with Homemade Queso
- In a small saucepan add the butter and heat over medium heat until melted. Add in the flour and stir until combined, about 1 minute. Add the milk and whisk to avoid clumps and slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Slowly add in both cheeses and continuously stir until melted.* Finally, add in remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Keep warm until ready to use.
Chipotle Cream Sauce
- Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- Prepare extras by slicing or dicing jalapeno and avocado. Thinly slice the radishes with a sharp knife or mandolin. Remove fresh cilantro from stems, and juice lime if using fresh.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and cover evenly with tortilla chips. Top with warm Crockpot Pork Carnitas, Homemade Queso and Chipotle Cream Sauce. Next add additional extras like sliced jalapenos, radish, lime juice, and fresh cilantro. Alternatively, you could place all ingredients out and each individual could make their own plate. Enjoy!
Like This Recipe? Share with Your Friends!